Luke Pedersen is the head of the intellectual property section in the firm’s Washington D.C. office and Chair of the firmwide Post-Grant Practice Committee. He also serves on the firmwide Technology Sector Committee. His practice includes all aspects of intellectual property law, with a particular emphasis on technology transfers, licensing, PTAB trials, patent portfolio management and litigation involving complex and emerging technologies. Mr. Pedersen is a frequent lecturer on software related topics including the legal implications of cloud computing, software-as-a-service and open source software.
Mr. Pedersen founded and remains Chair of the firmwide Post-Grant Practice Committee. During his tenure, the firm has filed petitions in more than eighty PTAB trial proceedings.
Mr. Pedersen regularly drafts and negotiates technology transfer agreements pertaining to ownership rights in and to intellectual property in the context of M&A transactions and licensing programs. He has also drafted and/or prosecuted hundreds of patent applications related to a diverse range of technologies, including software, telecommunications, Internet infrastructure, aviation, oil and gas production, medical equipment and the mechanical arts. From 2012-2014, Mr. Pedersen has been identified in Intellectual Asset Management’s IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners. He has been singled out for “his ability to take a complex area of the law and explain it in a clear and simple way.”
Mr. Pedersen’s litigation experience includes controversies related to misappropriation of trade secrets, patent infringement and breach of agreements governing intellectual property assets.
On behalf of several clients, Mr. Pedersen has helped develop and monitor comprehensive intellectual property protection programs. These programs have allowed organizations large and small to identify, protect, exploit and enforce their intellectual property rights.
- Multinational IT Management Software Company– management of a worldwide patent program directed to enterprise-wide Information Technology (IT) software; counsel in mergers and acquisitions, license negotiations and litigation
- Worldwide eCommerce Retailer- draft and administer a Free & Open Source Software company policy; analyze third party software products regarding license compliance; intellectual property due diligence in M&A.
- Aviation and Defense Contractor– development and management of a patent portfolio directed to aviation and national defense equipment and devices; counsel in license negotiations and technology transfer agreements
- Multinational Oilfield Services Company– complex dispute regarding the ownership of oil and gas drilling technology; patent prosecution regarding drilling and production technology
- Worldwide Telecommunications Service Provider– complex trade secret misappropriation litigation against multiple defendants, including a large multinational conglomerate, involving next-generation network switching, service creation, network management, data communications and other telecommunications technology
- Surgical Equipment Manufacturer– development and management of a patent portfolio directed to medical equipment and devices; counsel in license negotiations, joint development and technology transfer agreements
- Start-up Networking Company– development and management of a patent portfolio related to blade server technologies; advice regarding controversies related to patent infringement and ownership of intellectual property rights
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013-2014
Recognized in Chambers USA, 2005 - 2012
Selected by D Magazine as one of the “Best Lawyers Under 40” in Dallas, 2006
Recognized as a “Texas Rising Star,” 2006
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
PTAB Trials Blog
PTAB Trials Blog
Federal Circuit Affirms PTAB in First Appeal From a Decision in a Covered Business Method Patent ReviewFirm Thought Leadership
PTAB Trials Update
Baker Botts will host a comprehensive CLE program in our Washington office on October 24, 2017.