Maureen K. Ohlhausen joins the firm after leading the Federal Trade Commission as Acting Chairman and Commissioner. She directed all aspects of the FTC's antitrust work, including merger review and conduct enforcement, and steered all FTC consumer protection enforcement, with a particular emphasis on privacy and technology issues. A thought leader, Ms. Ohlhausen has published dozens of articles on antitrust, privacy, IP, regulation, FTC litigation, telecommunications, and international law issues in prestigious publications and has testified over a dozen times before the U.S. Congress. Ms. Ohlhausen has relationships with officials in the U.S. and abroad, with a particular emphasis on Europe and China, and has led the U.S. delegation at international antitrust and data privacy meetings on many occasions. She has received numerous awards, including the FTC's Robert Pitofsky Lifetime Achievement Award.
Prior to her role as Commissioner, Ms. Ohlhausen led the FTC's Internet Access Task Force, which produced an influential report analyzing competition and consumer protection legal issues in the areas of broadband and Internet.
In private practice, she headed the FTC practice group at a leading telecommunications firm, representing and counseling telecommunications and technology clients on antitrust compliance, privacy, and consumer protection matters before the FTC and the FCC. She also clerked at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Directed all aspects of the FTC antitrust work, including merger review, anticompetitive conduct enforcement, litigation strategy, amicus briefs, Congressional testimony, and policy initiative
- Oversaw and steered all FTC consumer protection law enforcement and policy efforts, with a particular emphasis on technology and telecommunications issues
- Heard appeals in administrative adjudications and authored FTC legal opinions
- Counseled telecommunications and technology clients on competition and consumer protection matters, such as antitrust compliance, consumer privacy and data security requirements, advertising and marketing matters, and issues involving FTC authority and jurisdiction
- Represented clients before Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission
Awards & Community
FTC Robert Pitofsky Lifetime Achievement Award
Touchstones of Leadership Public Policy Award
Phoenix Center Public Service Award
George Mason University Distinguished Alumni Award
Internet Association's Internet Freedom Award, 2017
Speaker, 67th ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
Competition Policy International
Two Think Minimum Podcast
Baker Botts Partner Maureen Ohlhausen will be speaking at the sixth annual LeadershIP conference in Washington D.C. on March 26, 2019.
On March 6th, Baker Botts is hosting a a breakfast CLE seminar program featuring Maureen Ohlhausen, former Acting Chair at the Federal Trade Commission, who will provide insights on antitrust enforcement in the Trump Administration.
The TechGC SF Private Dinner + CLE will be held on Thursday, February 7th, 2019 at the Prospect in San Francisco California.