Mark Miller's practice focuses on corporate investigations, governmental enforcement matters, and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He has conducted dozens of FCPA-related investigations in all parts of the world, represented companies before the Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission in FCPA and other enforcement matters, and provided counseling to companies on FCPA compliance. He has also represented corporations and individuals in federal grand jury investigations, SEC enforcement actions, Justice Department investigations, and in federal prosecutions, both in trial courts and on appeal. His criminal defense experience includes the areas of antitrust and fraud.
Mr. Miller also has broad experience in complex civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels.
Following law school, Mr. Miller served as a law clerk to the Honorable A. Raymond Randolph of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Represented Halliburton in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission, the UK Serious Fraud Office, and the law enforcement authorities of other jurisdictions into alleged improper payments in connection with the construction and expansion of an LNG facility in Nigeria
- Represented major U.S. corporations in criminal antitrust grand jury investigations
- Conducted internal investigations for major U.S. corporations into potential FCPA violations in many countries around the world, including India, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia and Nigeria
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence for major U.S. corporations in connection with proposed corporate acquisitions in Russia and Malaysia
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence for major U.S. corporation in connection with proposed joint venture in China
- Represented Russian corporation in connection with proposed joint venture with U.S. corporation
- Represented Halliburton in obtaining favorable FCPA opinion letter from the Department of Justice
- Provided FCPA risk assessment of foreign field offices in Africa and Asia for major U.S. corporation
- Developed FCPA compliance programs for major U.S. corporations and provided counseling to others in updating and enhancing their compliance programs
- Conducted FCPA due diligence for major U.S. corporations on prospective commercial agents in many countries in the Middle East, Africa, South America and Asia
- Conducted internal investigation for a major U.S. corporation into potential government-contracting fraud in Iraq
Awards & Community
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
ACI Houston FCPA Boot Camp
Three Things Companies Should Do Now to Update Anti-Corruption ComplianceExternal Articles
Bloomberg Corporate Law & Accountability Report