Steve Massad’s practice focuses on corporate and securities matters, including merger and acquisition transactions, financing transactions, restructuring transactions and joint ventures. He also advises companies and boards of directors on corporate governance matters and represents audit committees in internal investigations.
He previously served as chair of the firm's Houston corporate department and was a member of its executive committee. He became a senior counsel in the firm in 2016, after 33 years as a partner and 7 years as an associate.
Below is a representative sample of transactions he has worked on:
- Halliburton Company – acquisition of Baker Hughes Incorporated (signed but later abandoned)
- Kraton Performance Polymers Inc. – acquisition of Arizona Chemical Holdings Corporation
- Kraton Performance Polymers Inc. – proposed combination with LCY Chemical Corp. of Taiwan and related inversion to England (signed but later abandoned)
- Parker Drilling Company – acquisition of ITS Tubular Services via United Kingdom insolvency proceeding
- Lyondell Chemical Company – acquisition for cash by Basell AF
- Lyondell Chemical Company – acquisition of Millennium Chemicals Inc., together with its interest in Equistar Chemicals, L.P.
- Lyondell Chemical Company – acquisition of Arco Chemical Corporation, subsequent sale of its polyols business to Bayer AG and formation of a related propylene oxide joint venture
- Lyondell Chemical Company – formation of Equistar Chemicals, L.P., joint venture, addition of Occidental Petroleum chemical operations and acquisition by Lyondell of Occidental’s partnership interest
- Lyondell Chemical Company – numerous equity and high-yield debt financing transactions
- TPC Group Inc. – acquisition for cash by First Reserve Group and SK Capital Partners
- Encore Acquisition Company – acquisition for cash and stock by Denbury Resources Inc.
- Universal Compression Holdings, Inc. – stock-for-stock merger of equals with Hanover Compression Company to form Exterran Holdings, Inc.
- Reliant Energy, Inc. – restructuring into CenterPoint Energy, Inc., and Reliant Resources, Inc., including 20 percent initial public offering of Reliant Resources and spin-off of remaining interest in Reliant Resources
- Reliant Energy, Inc. – acquisition of NorAm Energy Corp. and Orion Power Holdings, Inc.
- Pogo Producing Company – acquisition for cash and stock by Plains Exploration & Production Company
- Pogo Producing Company – numerous financing and merger and acquisition transactions
- Mesa Petroleum Co./Mesa Limited Partnership/Mesa Inc. – numerous unsolicited and negotiated merger and acquisition transactions, proxy contests, debt and equity financing transactions and restructuring transactions
- Various private equity firms – various investments in and joint ventures with privately held oil and gas companies
- Various NYSE-listed companies – audit committee investigations of various matters, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues and accounting issues
- Various investment banks – representation in connection with fairness opinions in M&A transactions
- Various investment banks – numerous debt and equity financing transactions for various issuers
- Receiver for Stanford Financial Group – representation of the court-appointed receiver for Stanford Financial Group in transactional and investigatory matters
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013-2015
Listed in Chambers USA, 2003-2016 and in Chambers Global, 2003-2017
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 1987-2016; Who's Who in America (Law Business Research Ltd), 2003-2015 and Who's Who in American Law (Law Business Research Ltd), 2003-2015
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2003-2015