Paul Lugard is a highly regarded EU and international competition lawyer. His practice focuses on complex merger review proceedings, investigations into alleged anticompetitive business practices and cartels.
Over the past 20 years, Mr. Lugard has steered over 100 international mergers and joint ventures through the merger review process of the European Commission and government agencies around the world.
He has counseled some of the world's leading companies on strategic cooperation agreements, platform competition, distribution agreements and technology licensing agreements. His areas of experience include distribution agreements in the energy sector and the application of the antitrust laws to high technology sectors, including standardization, patent pools and licensing of standard essential patents. Mr. Lugard has assisted clients in oil and gas, LNG, human and animal health, consumer electronics, fast moving consumer goods, medical imaging, telecommunications and in various online industries.
Mr. Lugard was a senior vice president and the Head of Antitrust at Royal Philips Electronics from 2005 until 2012.
Mr. Lugard is active in the development of international competition policy. He is the Chair of the ICC Competition Commission and serves as a European Commission Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network (ICN) and as Vice Chair of the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD. From 2011 until 2013, Mr. Lugard served as President of the Dutch Association for Competition law.
Mr. Lugard graduated in law in 1989 from the University of Groningen, the Netherlands and in 1990 from the College of Europe in Bruges, Belgium.
He speaks Dutch, English, French and German.
- Interested parties in GE/Alstom, Hutchinson 3G UK/Telefonica UK
- Halliburton Company in its proposed acquisition of Baker Hughes
- Dresser Rand in its acquisition by Siemens
- A U.S. multinational semiconductor and telecommunications technology company in relation to standard essential patents (SEPs)
- An international telecommunications company in relation to standardization and joint licensing matters
- A European standard setting organization on various EU competition law matters
- An international dairy company on EU and U.S. exclusionary conduct matters
- An international LNG company on the formation of a joint venture for the offtake and supply of LNG worldwide in relation to EC competition law
- A Russian petrochemical company in merger notifications before the European Commission and national competition agencies
- Caterpillar in a Form CO merger notification before the European Commission
- A leading Saudi energy company on the renegotiation of energy supply agreements in relation to EC competition law
- Received EC merger clearance for a full-function joint venture involving LG Electronics – Case M. 2263*
- Received EC merger approval for acquisition of Marconi Medical Systems – Case M. 2537*
- Received EC merger clearance for acquisition of Intermagnetics – Case M. 4300*
- EU investigations under Article 102 TFEU of standard setting and joint licensing practices in the high-tech and telecommunications industries*
- Received EC merger clearance for Acquisition of Saeco – Case 5547*
- Philips in relation to article 102 TFEU in various high-tech matters*
- Philips in numerous EU multi-jurisdictional merger filings and article 101 TFEU matters*
* As in-house counsel at Royal Philips Electronics
Awards & Community
Listed in Who's Who Legal: Thought Leadership - Competition, 2019
Recognized by Chambers Global, 2016-2018, for Competition/European Law - Belgium
Recognized by Chambers Europe, 2016 & 2017, for Competition/European Law - Belgium
Saudi Arabia/Competition Law Update
Competition Law Insight, Volume 17, Issue 8
Newsletter of the ABA Antitrust Section's Intellectual Property Committee
This conference will provide senior regulatory, corporate, legal and economic expert perspectives on the intersection of IP, antitrust and innovation.
Baker Botts, in partnership with Concurrences Review, will be hosting our annual complimentary Global Antitrust Seminar on Thursday, 26 September in Brussels.
Baker Botts is pleased to sponsor the GCR Live IP, Antitrust & Innovation conference on Tuesday 13 March, 2018 at Hotel Amigo in Brussels, Belgium.
Paul Lugard, Partner Baker Botts will be speaking on Day 2, 22 November at 16:40 on Interactions Between IP and Competition Law.