Don Lonczak is a partner in our Tax Group with a concentration in both U.S. and international income tax matters. His broad-based, transaction-oriented practice includes structuring and negotiating the tax aspects of domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate spin-offs, as well as of public or private financings and derivative financial products. He regularly advises multinational corporations with respect to internal tax planning (both domestic and cross-border), transfer pricing and tax controversy matters. He has experience with the tax incentives available for renewable energy projects, including the production tax credit (PTC) and investment tax credit (ITC), as well as strategies for participation of tax equity investors in such projects. He also works with hedge funds, private equity funds and real estate funds in connection with their structures and investments.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Lonczak was a partner at Shearman & Sterling LLP. He also has practiced as a certified public accountant and formerly was associated with Arthur Andersen & Co.
- Marriott International in connection with the spin-off to shareholders of its worldwide timeshare business and related internal restructurings
- Sallie Mae in connection with the spin-off of its education loan management and servicing business as a new public company, Navient Corporation
- Liberty Global in connection with its merger with Virgin Media and migration to the United Kingdom
- AES Corp. in connection with the sale of its stake in the Silver Ridge Power LLC venture to SunEdison Inc.
- Borealis Infrastructure in connection with its minority investment in a portfolio of wind farm assets from EDP Renováveis S.A.
- Abengoa Solar LLC in connection with its joint venture with BrightSource Energy to develop a solar electric generating system in California
- Helm Corporation in its sale of Helm Bank SA to CorpBanca Columbia
- EQT Infrastructure Fund and Foristar in connection with the acquisition of Midland Cogeneration Venture Limited Partnership GE Energy Financial Services in connection with financing for its Caledonia combined cycle power plant
- Fortress Investment Group in the acquisition of an equity interest in, and the development of, the Mississippi hub gas storage project
- LMA International N.V. in connection with its initial public offering on the Singapore Stock Exchange, its acquisition of Wolfe Tory Medical, Inc. and its sale to Teleflex, Inc.
- GrupoSura in connection with its acquisition of the Latin American pensions, life insurance and investment management operations of the ING Group
- Cinram, Inc. in connection with a comprehensive refinancing and recapitalization transaction
- JBS S.A. in connection with its joint venture with Link Snacks, Inc. and its acquisition of a majority stake in Pilgrim’s Pride through a bankruptcy proceeding
- Bunge Limited in connection with its acquisition of Cereol S.A.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in connection with its acquisition of Guidant Corporation and the sale of its neurovascular business to Stryker Corporation
- HLTH Corporation in connection with the downstream merger into its principal subsidiary, WebMD Health Corporation
- ContourGlobal in connection with the sale to International Finance Corporation of an interest in a thermal power plant in Togo, West Africa
- BE Aerospace in connection with its acquisition of Interturbine Projekt Management GmbH, TSI Group Inc. and UFC Aerospace Corp.
- Avenue Capital in connection with the bankruptcy reorganization of Milacron Inc.
- Novartis AG in connection with the divestiture of its medical nutrition business to Nestlé, the acquisition of the adult nutritional supplement business of the Mead Johnson division of Bristol Myers Squibb and the spin-off of its worldwide agricultural business as Syngenta AG
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
One Step Closer to Tax Reform - Senate Passes Bill, International Tax Provisions at Odds with Bill Passed by the HouseFirm Thought Leadership
House Tax Bill Announced: Corporate Rate Lowered to 20% in Exchange for Limitation of Interest Deductions and Repeal of Tax Preferences; Key Territorial Tax Provisions Exempt Foreign IncomeFirm Thought Leadership