With the globalisation of competition law and enforcement, Matthew Levitt helps clients navigate the increasingly challenging international antitrust environment. He helps clients develop and deliver the joined-up strategies which are essential when faced with the growing power of antitrust authorities globally and their increased ability to coordinate enforcement activity in international investigations and merger clearance processes. Cited in the 2018 editions of Legal 500 as having ‘a better understanding of commercial needs than other lawyers’ and Chambers 2018 as 'a "very good competition lawyer" who is "very thorough in investigation."' Mr. Levitt has over 20 years' experience.
Once described as “an excellent and highly intellectual performer - very charismatic, but tough if needed” (Chambers Global, 2008), he handles international and EU cartel investigations and coordinates multi-jurisdictional merger filing processes. Mr. Levitt has been involved in virtually every significant EU and UK competition law case concerning the maritime sector including the formation of P3 and 2M shipping alliances, the container shipping price signalling investigation, the maritime car carriers investigation, the opposition by DFDS to the Eurotunnel/SeaFrance takeover, the investigation of the International Association of Classification Societies, the merger of Maersk and P&O Nedlloyd, and the annulment of the €273m fines on the TACA parties.
Mr. Levitt has extensive experience in the energy sector, advising on the EU regulatory aspects of the Shah Deniz gas pipeline project, and handling mergers in the utilities, water, ports and infrastructure sectors. He has also handled several ground-breaking cartel and abuse of dominance cases in the European Courts.
- One of the carriers in the European Commission's investigation of the maritime car shipping sector and in coordinating our client's worldwide defence strategy*
- Maersk in the European Commission's on-going investigation of alleged 'price signalling' in the liner shipping sector*
- Major consumer products supplier in defending the OFT's investigation of alleged hub & spoke arrangements in the grocery sector*
- Maersk in the establishment of the P3 and 2M shipping alliances, the biggest shipping alliance in the world*
* Prior to joining Baker Botts
Awards & Community
Competition, Who's Who Legal, 2017-2018
Competition/European Law - Belgium, Chambers Europe, 2011-2018
Endorsed in PLC Which Lawyer, European Union, EU Competition, 2012
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Brexit Client Update