Sandra Lee is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice in the firm’s New York office. She has a broad range of experience in domestic and foreign patent procurement of utility and design patents, post-grant proceedings, client counseling and strategic portfolio management. Ms. Lee’s work is focused in the pharmaceutical, chemical, medical device and consumer products areas.
Ms. Lee also counsels her clients in Orange Book and Hatch-Waxman related issues, and is involved in pharmaceutical litigation matters from pre-suit investigation and continuing through trial. Ms. Lee has focused primarily on pharmaceutical litigation related to Hatch-Waxman.
Ms. Lee also has vast experience with due diligence investigations on proposed transactions across a broad range of technologies, and assists her clients with IP-related agreements associated with technology transfers through acquisition or licensing opportunities. Ms. Lee also conducts freedom to operate and clearance investigations, validity/infringement assessments, and investigates inventorship disputes.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Lee was in biomedical research in the Department of Anesthesia at the Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
Speeches and Presentations
- Speaker, “Licensing Fundamentals,” Baker Botts Seminar, February 2015
- Speaker, “Patent Application Drafting,” Baker Botts Seminar, November 2014
- Speaker, “Inter Partes Review in the Life Sciences: Challenges, Opportunities and Strategies,” Baker Botts Seminar, September 2014
- Panelist, “Post-Grant Patent Proceedings - Changing the Face of Patent Litigation,” co-sponsored by the Asian Pacific American Bar Association-Silicon Valley and Baker Botts, Palo Alto, CA, June 2014
- Co-Moderator, “The Gauntlet Rethrown: The Paragraph IV Certification and Notice Letter,” ACI Paragraph IV Disputes, New York, April 2014
- Speaker, “Patent Licensing: Hot Topics & Medtronic,” Baker Botts Seminar, March 2014
- Speaker, “Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Due Diligence,” Baker Botts Seminar, June 2013
- Speaker, “Practicing under the AIA,” Baker Botts Seminar, February 2013
- Speaker, “Fundamentals of Patent Application Drafting,” Baker Botts Seminar, December 2012
- Panelist, “Navigating the America Invents Act - What Your Company Needs to Know Now to Manage Changes to the Patent Laws,” Baker Botts IP Law Roundtable, September 2012
- Panelist, “Patent Reform Update: The America Invents Act,” Baker Botts IP Law Roundtable, November 2011
- Speaker, “Life Sciences Update -- Review of Recent Case Law,” Baker Botts Seminar, September 2007
- Speaker, “Introduction to FDA Orange Book,” Baker Botts Seminar, February 2007
- “Patent Prosecution,” Pre-ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Developing a Drug Product and Patent Portfolio, Chapter 12, ABA Book Publishing, Section of Intellectual Property, Eds. K. Dorsney, 2014 (Dennis Bissonnette, Justine Gozzi, co-authors)
- “Prosecution of Patent Applications: Applying for Utility Patents; Design Patents; International Applications; Patent Term and Modification; Post Issuance,” Chapter Series, Lexis Practice Advisor, February 2014 & May 2015
- “Momenta v. Amphastar - New Implications on Patents Claiming Testing Methods and the Biosimilars Industry,” AIPLA Antitrust News, October 2012 (Sean McDonagh, co-author)
- “Teva v. AstraZeneca: Secret Prior Art Under 102(g)(2),” Nature Biotechnology, September 2012 (Michael Knierem, co-author); previously published in Baker Botts IP Report, March 2012
- “Q&A With Baker Botts’ Sandra Lee,” Life Sciences Law360, June 5, 2012
- “Recent Developments in ANDA Settlements-Getting Past the Antitrust Hurdle,” AIPLA Antitrust News, May 2009 (Paul Ragusa, co-author)
- “Strategies for Attacking and Defending Pharmaceutical Patents: A Modern Take on ‘The Art of War,’” Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, December 2005 (David Tellekson and Elizabeth Richardson, co-authors)
- “Patenting Life Forms,” Biotechnology Law 2003: Biotechnology Patent & Business Strategies (S. Peter Ludwig and Samuel Woodley, co-authors)
- “Preparing Legal Opinions for Biotechnology Patents,” Biotechnology Law 2002: Biotechnology Patent & Business Strategies (S. Peter Ludwig and John Todaro, co-authors)
- “Festo and the U.S. Supreme Court: Be Careful What You Wish For,” Nature Biotechnology, 2002 (Adda Gogoris, co-author)
- “Hyperalgesia caused by nerve transection: Long-lasting block prevents early hyperalgesia in the receptive field of the surviving nerve,” Anesthesia and Analgesia 89: 1-7 (1999) (I. Kissin, E.L. Bradley, co-authors)
- “Effect of midazolam on development of acute tolerance to alfentanil: The role of pharmacokinetic interactions,” Anesthesia and Analgesia 85: 182-7 (1997) (I. Kissin, E.L. Bradley, co-authors)
- “Time course characteristics of acute tolerance development to continuously infused alfentanil in rats,” Anesthesia and Analgesia 83: 600-5 (1996) (I. Kissin, G.R. Arthur, and E.L. Bradley, co-authors)