Louie Layrisson counsels clients in a broad range of civil matters, and his trial practice includes energy litigation, complex commercial disputes, and products liability litigation. In the energy industry, he works closely with energy investors, operators, and service companies on a variety of operational issues and legal disputes arising from oil and gas exploration and production, transportation, and refining.
Layrisson regularly provides advice regarding shale investment and operations, including disputes related to oil and gas leases, title, royalty obligations, surface disputes, joint operating and development agreements, midstream agreements, indemnity, restructuring, and mergers and acquisitions. He has litigated cases in various state and federal courts, as well as before domestic and international arbitral institutions.
Before joining the firm, Layrisson served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jay C. Zainey of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Oil & gas producers – advice regarding U.S. shale operations, including traditional oil and gas litigation matters, contract and commercial disputes, and operational issues
- Energy Investors – representation in restructuring-related disputes, including oil and gas foreclosure litigation and bankruptcy trustee claims, and advice regarding investment and risk mitigation
- Oilfield services suppliers – representation in litigation arising from oil and gas well incidents and contract disputes
- Fortune 100 refining corporation – Defense of toxic tort suit relating to benzene exposure claims, including 2016 decision excluding plaintiff's experts and dismissing case, unanimously affirmed by Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Exploration and production corporation – coordinated internal investigation and defense of energy litigation matters in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Wyoming and North Dakota as full-time, embedded secondee
- Independent deepwater exploration company – provided in-house legal counsel related to operations, regulatory compliance, and commercial agreements for deepwater exploration company
- Major integrated oil and gas corporation – assisted in multistate defense of federal class action alleging product liability claims, trial team obtained denial of class certification
- Major refining companies – advice regarding various disputes relating to personal injury, products liability, and indemnity claims arising out of downstream operations in Texas and Louisiana
- Frac sand manufacturer – defense of conspiracy, trespass, and fraud claims arising out of frac sand supply
- Energy consulting firm – advice regarding partnership disputes, trade secret protection, and corporate governance matters
- Manufacturing companies – representation in litigation involving product liability claims, non-compete agreements, trade secrets, control of business, tortious interference and anti-trust claims
- Fortune 500 retailer – defense of claims through federal jury trial in suit alleging trademark infringement and unfair competition
- Commodities traders – defense of breach of contract, fiduciary duty, conspiracy, and fraud claims in domestic arbitration
- International refining company – advice regarding anti-corruption compliance and arbitration disputes
- Professional sports organization – assisted in products liability action against arena sign manufacturer; case tried in Texas state court to multi-million dollar verdict
- Fortune 500 power generation company – arbitration of management-labor disputes in connection with power generation plants throughout Texas, including favorable arbitration awards as first-chair counsel
- Maritime class certification society – internal investigation of corporate separateness and corporate governance issues
- Regional insurance company – defense against first-party and third-party personal injury and property damage claims
- Pro Bono Veteran Client – received full reversal of administrative benefits denial by Veterans’ Affairs, relief retroactive to 2005 for Iraq War veteran
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
Recipient, President’s Award, presented by Houston Bar Association, 2015
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Institute for Energy Law
Texas Bar Journal
The program will examine how anticorruption enforcement can cover conduct that seems benign or even virtuous – such as hiring employees or making charitable contributions.