Erik Koons is a Partner at Baker Botts in the Antitrust and Competition Practice group. His practice focuses on representing litigants in private antitrust and complex commercial litigation and investigation matters. Mr. Koons has handled antitrust and other commercial litigation matters in a wide range of industries including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, computer hardware, food and beverage, petroleum, consumer electronics and waste disposal. These matters have addressed a variety of legal theories including monopolization, monopsonization, cartelization, bid-rigging, market division, ancillary restraints, patent misuse, and RICO claims. Many of Mr. Koons’ antitrust litigations have related to marketing and distribution economics and antitrust issues. Mr. Koons routinely represents companies in antitrust audits and internal investigations relating to a host of antitrust issues including pricing conduct and competitor collaborations. Mr. Koons also designs and implements antitrust compliance programs for companies across the globe.
In June 2010, the District of Columbia Bar Board on Professional responsibility appointed Mr. Koons to serve on the Board’s professional responsibility Hearing Committee for a term of three years. The Board on Professional Responsibility is an arm of the D.C. Court of Appeals and is charged with adjudicating attorney discipline cases as well as administering the attorney discipline system. The Hearing Committee is responsible for adjudicating cases of attorney misconduct at the trial level, considering petitions for negotiated discipline and contested petitions for reinstatement.
From 1999-2000, Mr. Koons was clerk to the Hon. Norman A. Mordue, District Court Judge for the Northern District of New York.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Global Competition Review - Know-How - Antimonopoly & Unilateral Conduct - United States. On-line antitrust resource (2015)
- Obtaining Evidence Abroad; an American Bar Association - Section of Antitrust; International publicaton, Co-editor with John Taladay, (forthcoming 2016)
- Antitrust Compliance. BNA’s Corporate Practice Series (2011). Contributing Author.
- Antitrust Discovery Handbook. ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2011). Contributing Author;3d edition.
- 2010 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments. ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2011). Contributing Author. Co-authored with Carmine R. Zarlenga.
- The Franchise and Dealership Termination Handbook. ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2010). Contributing Editor;2d ed.
- Proving Antitrust Damages. ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2010). Contributing Editor; 2nd ed.
- "Without a Clue and Still Without a Master Plan: Municipalities Left Uncertain How to Manage Waste Disposal Crisis in Wake of Third Circuit Decision in Harvey Inc. v. County of Chester.” 9 Vill. Envtl. L.J. Vol. 1 (1998).
- “Antitrust Litigation: Managing a Complex, High-Stakes Matter to a Successful Conclusion.” Howrey Antitrust Fundamentals Seminar (2009).