Texas Lawyer selected Ms. Kline as one of twenty “Winning Women” across Texas who “have achieved significant recent victories as well as displayed a track record of wins in which they prevailed in high-stakes cases.” Ms. Kline was chosen from more than 200 lawyers nominated for the honor.
With a deep background in commercial litigation, Ms. Kline principally practices civil appellate law. During more than 25 years of practice, Ms. Kline has handled appellate matters in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and numerous other federal appeals courts, throughout the Texas courts of appeals and in the Texas Supreme Court, and in the Alabama, Delaware, Maryland, and Nevada Supreme Courts. She often guides trial lawyers regarding matters likely to arise on appeal, such as error preservation, dispositive motion practice and jury charges.
Ms. Kline is board certified in Civil Appellate Law and has served as chair of the Appellate Section of the Dallas Bar Association. She is a Life Patron Fellow of the Dallas Bar Foundation. She serves on the Advisory Board of the Center for Brain Health, University of Texas at Dallas. She is married and has a son in college.
Ms. Kline excels at making complex subjects understandable and organizing large amounts of complicated information into digestible and persuasive briefs. Ms. Kline’s appellate experience spans a wide swath of substantive legal subjects. She has worked extensively in regulatory appeals, intellectual property appeals, and consumer class actions. She has prepared appellate briefs addressing bankruptcy court decisions, business disputes, product liability issues, consumer transactions and employment matters. She also has handled appeals centering on statutory construction and corporate governance. In addition, Ms. Kline has significant experience representing law firms and accounting firms in the defense of professional liability matters, both in the trial court and on appeal.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
Speeches and Presentations
- Air and Waste Management Conference, Chicago, June 2013, panelist, “Key 2012 and 2013 Court Decisions that Affect Clean Air Act Permits&rdquo
- Eastern District of Texas Bench Bar Conference, “It’s Only Words, But Words Are All We Have,” co-panelist with Chief Judge Carl Stewart, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals; Judge William Bryson, Federal Circuit Court of Appeals; and Judge Rodney Gilstrap, District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, October 2012
- University of Texas Conference on State and Federal Appeals, moderator for Fifth Circuit panel with Judges Owen and Elrod, June 2012
- “Finding the One Thing that Wins the Appeal,” Dallas Bar Association Appellate Section, participant in panel discussion with Professor William V. Dorsaneo, III and attorney Brent Rosenthal, April 2012
- “Loose Ends: Winding Up Your Appeal,” State Bar of Texas, Civil Appellate Practice 101, Austin, September 1, 2010
- “Bankruptcy Appeals -- General Principles,” John C. Ford American Inn of Court, Dallas, Texas, March 9, 2010 (presented with Fifth Circuit Judge Catharina Haynes and U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stacey Jernigan)
- “Bankruptcy Appeals - A Whole New World,” University of Texas Conference on State and Federal Appeals, Austin, June 2009
- “Traps in the FRAPs: Appellate Procedure for the IP Litigator,” Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Dallas, January 2007
- “Summary Judgments: Making Yours Stick On Appeal and Unsticking the Other Guy’s,” Dallas Bar Association, Appellate Law Section, Dallas, April 2005
- “Emotion and the Law,” Harvard Women’s Law Journal 2004 Conference, Cambridge, Massachusetts, March 2004
- “Multiparty Litigation Issues From Start to Finish,” Advanced Civil Trial Course, State Bar of Texas, Dallas, October 2003
- “An Introduction to Bankruptcy Appeals -- Jurisdiction, the Rules, and Threshold Concerns,” Appellate Issues, American Bar Association Judicial Division, Council of Appellate Lawyers (June 2010)
- “The Process: Internal Operating Procedures of the Texas Appellate Courts,” The Appellate Advocate, Special Ed., February 2005
- “Tough on Texas Lawyers,” Texas Lawyer, December 1999
- “Mixed Review on New Rule,” Texas Lawyer, September 1999
- “Motions to Disqualify Based on Conflicts of Interest: Identifying the Rules of the Game,” Saint Mary’s Law Journal, 1994
- “The Third Party: Liability Considerations,” Today’s CPA, July/August 1992