Lisa Kattan serves as Baker Botts' International Trade Commission Practice Group Chair. She recently joined the firm after serving as Senior Investigative Attorney at the International Trade Commission (ITC) Office of Unfair Import Investigations for over five years. At the ITC, Ms. Kattan's responsibilities included serving as lead trial counsel on behalf of the U.S. Government in numerous high-profile investigations, involving hundreds of millions of dollars of accused products. In this role, Ms. Kattan evaluated the merits of patent infringement claims and defenses, developed claim constructions, investigated public interest issues, and ensured compliance with agency regulations, in cases ranging from medical devices to the smartphone wars. Ms. Kattan is a registered patent attorney, and a frequent speaker on ITC developments and patent litigation best practices.
A graduate of Northwestern University School of Law, Ms. Kattan was a patent litigator in private practice for 12 years before joining the ITC, during which time her focus was on chemical, pharmaceutical medical device and consumer products patent litigation. In private practice, Ms Kattan appeared in patent cases before the District of Delaware, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the Court of Federal Claims, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, and the ITC.
- Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing Same (II) (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1076) - Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation of Sony's infringement of a number of Fujifilm patents related to magnetic tape data storage technologies.
- Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1058) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation brought by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies.
- Certain Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1036) – Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation brought by Sony related to magnetic tape data storage technologies.
- Certain Flash Memory Devices and Components Thereof (International Trade Commission Investigation No 337-TA-1034) - Representation of Western Digital and Sandisk in patent infringement involving flash memory case brought by Memory Technologies, LLC.
- Certain Single-Molecule Nucleic Acid Sequencing Systems and Reagents (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1032) - Representation of Oxford Nanopore Techs in a patent infringement investigation involving nucleic acid sequencing systems brought by Pacific BioSciences.
- Certain Magnetic Data Storage Tapes and Cartridges Containing Same (International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1012) - Representation of Fujifilm in ITC Investigation of Sony's infringement of a number of Fujifilm patents related to magnetic tape data storage technologies.
- Certain Radiotherapy Systems and Treatment Planning Software, 337-TA-968*
- Certain Electronic Products, Including Products with Near Field Communication, 337-TA-950*
- Certain Communications or Computing Devices, 337-TA-925*
- Certain Sleep-Disordered Breathing Treatment Systems, 337-TA-890*
- Certain Electronic Devices, Including Wireless Communication Devices, Tablet Computers, Media Players, and Televisions, 337-TA-862*
- Certain Portable Electronic Devices and Related Software, 337-TA-797*
- Other investigations include: 337-TA-1002 (Certain Carbon and Alloy Steel Products), -977 (Certain Arrowheads with Deploying Blades), -951 (Certain Lithium Metal Oxide Cathode Materials), -936 (Certain Footwear Products), -905 (Certain Wireless Devices, Including Mobile Phones and Tablets), -879 (Certain Sleep-Disordered Breathing Treatment Systems), -839 (Certain Consumer Electronics, Including Mobile Phones and Tablets), -831 (Certain Electronic Devices for Capturing and Transmitting Images), and -823 (Certain Kinesiotherapy Devices), among others*
- Kimberly-Clark v. Covidien: patent infringement case in E.D. Wisc. regarding endotracheal tubes (settled after preliminary injunction ruling)*
- Certain Modified Vaccinia Ankara and Vaccines and Pharmaceutical Compositions Based Thereon, 337-TA-550: Defended respondent Acambis in ITC patent infringement investigation concerning smallpox vaccine and government contracts*
- Kao v. Unilever: D. Del. infringement trial and appeal to Federal Circuit about polymer skin-cleanser*
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals v. Eon: EDNY Hatch-Waxman trial and appeal to Federal Circuit regarding anti-fungal drug dosage form*
- Honeywell v. Lockheed Martin: Court of Federal Claims patent infringement trial concerning night-vision goggles*
- Phillips Petroleum v. Exxon: Member of team for patent infringement jury trial in D. Del. concerning super-random blocking co-polymers*
- McNeil Consumer Products v. Perrigo: Member of team for Markman hearing and trial in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement suit in EDPA regarding pharmaceutical*
- Ortho-McNeil v. Barr Laboratories: Prepared ex parte reexamination requests before the PTO regarding oral contraceptive patents*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Pursuing Foreign Companies Engaged in Misappropriation of Trade Secrets Via an Action in the International Trade CommissionSpeeches & Presentations
ACC Annual In-House Symposium
In conjunction with FRONTEO eDiscovery & Forensics; Baker Botts is pleased to co-sponsor the "Trends at the U.S. International Trade Commission and in Extraterritorial Patent Law" seminar.
In conjunction with FRONTEO eDiscovery & Forensics, and Abe, Ikubo & Katayama; Baker Botts is pleased to co-sponsor "The Latest Trends in Japanese-U.S. Patent Litigation" seminar.