Stuart Jordan is listed as a "leading individual" for construction in Chambers UK, 2017 and his entry includes: “Sources single out his “excellent knowledge of FIDIC.” He has notable experience of construction matters in the Middle East.”
He is a regular conference speaker on the theory and practice of construction procurement, and writes the legal page for Gulf Construction magazine each month.
Stuart handles both disputes work and “front end” projects. He advises developers, owners and contractors in the EMEA regions in the construction, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Stuart's practice focuses on procurement strategies in power, transport infrastructure, oil, gas, petrochemical, nuclear process and other industrial construction contracts, technology licences, professional appointments, long term agreements (LTSA), operations & maintenance (O&M), DBFO and other concession agreements.
In disputes, he has experience in all mainstream processes including litigation, arbitration, statutory adjudication and all kinds of contractual disputes processes. His experience includes valuation, performance failures, defects, change order process, design development and contractor claims for extensions of time and “loss and expense." He is skilled in delay and disruption and is co-author of the Delay and Disruption Protocol, published by the Society of Construction Law.
Oil & Gas Pipelines and Plant Experience
- Joint venture company Nabucco Gas Pipeline International on major supply and EPC contract arrangements for a new natural gas pipeline between the Middle East and Europe, involving all engineering and construction from FEED, linepipe procurement, storage, SCADA and compressor procurement, operation and maintenance contracts*
- Guangdong Power Engineering Co., a Chinese engineering contractor, on a SINOSURE supported onshore gasfield development and a methanol production plant in Russia, involving a multi-contract construction framework to cover linepipe installation, storage, pumps and compressors*
- Shtokman AG, the JV developer, on EPC and related work for pipelines and onshore infrastructure for the gas condensate project in the Russian Arctic*
- Total on the EPC and related aspects of the Yamal LNG project in Russia*
- Owner on a STPP petrochemical plant construction project in Saudi Arabia*
- Chinese engineering contractor on EPC contracts for a Malaysia oil refinery project*
- Bahrain Petroleum Co (BAPCO) on engineering, construction, joint venture and trading contracts for a new base oil refinery and port facilities at Sitra, Bahrain, including plant and pipeline EPC contracts for transport of product to the port*
Other Engineering Experience
- Energy fund on the implementation of construction aspects of a major new China Exim Bank supported hydropower project in sub- Saharan Africa*
- China SOE contractor on an EPCM contracting model for a biomass power project in Belarus*
- Owner on the engineering, procurement and construction of the world’s largest reverse-osmosis desalination plant in Trinidad, involving extensive process engineering and a bespoke EPC contract*
- UK nuclear site licence operator on an EPC contract to engineer and construct a nuclear fuel production facility*
- Owners on supply and EPC contract arrangements for major new waste-to-energy plants in the UK*
- Transport Scotland on the engineering, procurement and construction contracts for the new £3 billion Forth Road Bridge and related road infrastructure*
- Russian oil major on its standard construction contracts*
- Contractor on an EPC for a 155MW IGCC coal-fired power plant in Abia State, Nigeria*
- Aluminium Bahrain (ALBA) on engineering and construction contracts for a new manufacturing facility in Bahrain*
- Contractor on construction of two CCGT gas-fired power plants in the UK (Connah’s Quay and Little Barford*
- Major Chinese state-owned mining corporation on disputes with total value $110 million relating to EPC and operating & maintenance contracts at a gold and silver mine in Saudi Arabia*
- Chinese engineering contractor on six disputes – all valuation claims – involving on road and bridge construction in Saudi Arabia*
- Chinese contractor on a mining EPC dispute in Saudi Arabia*
- Major Saudi privately-owned group of companies on disputes involving time extensions, delay damages, disruption and works performance on several civil engineering projects in Saudi Arabia*
- City of Edinburgh on the £400 million dispute on the Edinburgh Tram construction*
- Major UK contractor on two final account disputes relating to the design and construction of CCGT power stations*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Awards & Community
Recognised in Chambers UK, 2017 & 2018, for Construction-Purchaser
Recognised in Legal 500 UK, 2017, for Projects & Energy, Emerging Markets and Power (Incl. Electricity, Nuclear and Renewables)
"sensible, pragmatic and someone who wants to get the deal done" - Chambers UK, 2018
Clients singling out Mr. Jordan's "excellent knowledge of FIDIC and UK arbitration mechanisms" – Chambers UK, 2017
"very practical and results-focused lawyer who provides clients with very reliable estimates of costs" – Chambers UK, 2015
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Baker Botts will be hosting its first Oil & Gas Lawyer School on 8 September in London.