Paula Heyman has experience in litigating patent and technology disputes in federal courts across the country and in the International Trade Commission. Her representations have concerned computer systems, telecommunication systems, database management software, medical devices, and neural network technology. She represents both companies seeking to enforce their intellectual property rights and those accused of infringement. She also has experience in patent interference and post grant proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Ms. Heyman, additionally counsels clients to help them identify and protect their intellectual property assets in the US and around the world. She manages the development of strategic patent portfolios in a wide range of technologies, from integrated circuit design and software for the layout of integrated circuits, semiconductor manufacturing technology, including the design and manufacture of photomasks and the processing steps necessary to fabricate integrated circuit-computer systems, oilfield equipment and associated software, telecommunications and video conferencing technology. In addition, she works with clients to evaluate, manage and respond to claims of infringement and provides legal advice on validity and infringement questions.
Prior to joining Baker Botts, Ms. Heyman worked as a circuit design engineer at Digital Equipment Corporation in Hudson, Massachusetts and at IBM in Austin, Texas. Ms. Heyman also worked as in-house counsel for Philip Morris International in Switzerland.
- Industrial automation control provider – litigation asserting multiple patents related to process control using neural networks
- Large enterprise software and services company – successful defense against multimillion-dollar commercial fraud claims
- Major computer equipment manufacturer – preparation and prosecution of patent applications, litigation defense, post grant proceedings in the USPTO
- Large storage company – litigation defense in the International Trade Commission
- Large medical device company – litigation asserting multiple patents related to electrochemical glucose monitoring technology
- Large energy company – management of patent program, preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications
- Large consumer appliance company – patent interference proceeding in the USPTO
- Large packaging company – patent interference proceedings in the USPTO
- Large telecommunications company – litigation defense in district court
- Major photomask manufacturer – management of patent program, patent prosecution counseling
- Small software company – management of patent program, preparation and prosecution of patent applications
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2008
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Federal Circuit Holds That "Secret" Sales and Offers for Sale May Constitute Prior Art Under Post-AIA Section 102Firm Thought Leadership
Intellectual Property Update
PTAB Trials Blog
Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal Symposium
Baker Botts' lawyer Paula Heyman will speak about IP, Privacy & Cybersecurity and the Women, Influence & Power in Law Conference in Washington D.C.