Catriona Hatton is the partner in charge of the firm's Brussels office and Co-Chair of the firm's Global Antitrust and Competition Law group. Her practice focuses on European Union (EU) competition law. Catriona has extensive experience advising on EU and national competition law aspects of international mergers, including filings under the EU Merger Regulation and coordinating global merger filings. Catriona is Co-Chair of the International Bar Association's Merger Working Group.
Catriona advises on compliance with competition rules in a wide range of commercial agreements. Her compliance work has frequently involved the conduct of antitrust audits and the design and implementation of compliance programs.
Catriona has represented clients in complaints to, and investigations by, the European Commission and numerous national competition authorities. She advises clients in a number of sectors, including pharmaceuticals, mining, media and entertainment, automotive and energy.
Catriona is recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Europe 2013 as a business-oriented practitioner. Clients admire her “excellent judgment and strong sense of practicality.” She is also recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Global where she is particularly praised for her commercial acumen and her work in international merger control.
She was named one of the leading “100 Women in Antitrust” by Global Competition Review in 2009, 2013 and 2016.
She received Euromoney’s “Women in Business Law Award, Best in - Competition & Antitrust 2012.”
She is also listed in Euromoney’s Legal Expert Guide, where clients referred to her as “Brilliant, quick-thinking, great to work with, vast experience in very relevant cases.”
Catriona speaks English, Dutch, French and Italian.
- Represented Halliburton in seeking to obtain EU and other merger control approvals of its $28 billion proposed acquisition of Baker Hughes.
- Represented Kimberly-Clark Corporation in connection with its $1.8 billion spin-off of Halyard Health.
- Representing SI Group, Inc. in securing antitrust approval for the acquisition from Albemarle of its antioxidants, ibuprofen and related businesses.
- Representing Colfax Corporation in merger filings in respect of its US$1 billion acquisition of Victor Technologies Holdings, Inc., a global manufacturer of cutting, gas control and specialty welding solutions.
- Representing Cameron International Corporation in obtaining EU merger approval for its One Subsea joint venture with Schlumberger.
- Representing Contran Corporation in obtaining EU approval for the $2.9 billion sale of its subsidiary, Timet, to Precision Castparts Corporation.
- Antitrust counsel to Colfax Corporation in its US$2.4 billion public bid for Charter International plc.
- Advising Sun Microsystems on EU antitrust aspects of various distribution and supply arrangements, strategic alliances and on merger control aspects of their acquisition of MySQL.*
- EU and UK antitrust compliance advice to a leading online travel company.*
- Represented Ariba in connection with acquisition by SAP AG’s $4.3 billion acquisition of Ariba, including advising on UK and international merger control filings and related antitrust counseling.*
- Antitrust counsel to Ford Motor Company in connection with its sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors for approximately US$2.3 billion.*
- Antitrust counsel to the Black & Decker Corporation in its merger with Stanley Works for US$4.5 billion.*
- Antitrust counsel to Norilsk Nickel Group in connection with the acquisition of LionOre Mining International Ltd for US$6.3 billion, the largest cross-border acquisition ever made by a Russian company at that time.*
- Antitrust counsel to a leading high tech company in advising on strategic alliances and competition compliance in IP licensing and distribution arrangements.*
- Antitrust counsel to a U.S. company in defending a complaint for alleged abuse of dominance arising from IP litigation.*
- Antitrust counsel to Sun Microsystems in its acquisition of Swedish company MySQL, developer of one of the world’s fastest growing open source databases, for approx. US$1 billion.*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Awards & Community
Named "Lawyer of the Year" in European Union Law, (Brussels) by Best Lawyers, 2018
Listed in Who's Who Legal: Competition, 2017
Ranked as one of the "Top 100 Women in Antitrust Globally," in Global Competition Review's (GCR) Women in Antitrust, 2009, 2013, 2016
Recognized in Global Competition Review's, The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers, 2015
Named an "IFLR1000 - Leading Lawyer," by Competition Law, 2015
Listed in Euromoney's Legal Expert Guide: “Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers/Economists,” 2014
Listed as leading practitioner in Euromoney's Legal Expert Guide: “Women in Business Law,” 2014
Chambers Global, Competition/Antitrust - Belgium, 2014
Best Lawyers Belgium for Competition/Antitrust and Mergers & Acquisitions, 2014
Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law - Belgium, 2013
PLC Which Lawyer?, endorsed in European Union, EU Competition - 2011 & 2012
Nominated for “Managing Partner of the Year” by the Belgian Legal Awards, 2011
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Baker Botts, in partnership with Concurrences Journal, will be sponsoring a seminar on global antitrust hot topics on Thursday, 8 September in Brussels.
Baker Botts Antitrust partner Catriona Hatton will present at today’s Georgetown Law’s International Antitrust Symposium on the “Multijurisdictional Merger Control” panel.
Baker Botts is a proud sponsor of the inaugural Global Competition Review Women in Antitrust conference in Washington, DC on November 9th.