Catriona Hatton is the partner in charge of the firm’s Brussels office and Co-Chair of the firm’s Global Antitrust and Competition Law group. Her practice focuses on European Union (EU) competition law. Catriona has extensive experience advising on EU and national competition law aspects of international mergers, including filings under the EU Merger Regulation and coordinating global merger filings. Catriona is Co-Chair of the International Bar Association’s Merger Working Group.
Catriona advises on compliance with competition rules in a wide range of commercial agreements. Her compliance work has frequently involved the conduct of antitrust audits and the design and implementation of compliance programs.
Catriona has represented clients in complaints to, and investigations by, the European Commission and numerous national competition authorities. She advises clients in a number of sectors, including pharmaceuticals, mining, media and entertainment, automotive and energy.
Catriona is recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Europe 2013 as a business-oriented practitioner. Clients admire her “excellent judgment and strong sense of practicality.” She is also recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Global where she is particularly praised for her commercial acumen and her work in international merger control.
She was named one of the leading “100 Women in Antitrust” by Global Competition Review in 2009 and in 2013.
She won Euromoney’s “Women in Business Law Award, Best in - Competition & Antitrust 2012.”
She is also listed in Euromoney’s Legal Expert Guide, where clients referred to her as “Brilliant, quick-thinking, great to work with, vast experience in very relevant cases.”
Catriona speaks English, Dutch, French and Italian.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Parent Companies’ Exposure Under EU Competition Rules for Antitrust Infringements of Joint Ventures and Portfolio Companies,” International Antitrust Bulletin, November 2014
- “Talkingpoints - Changes to European merger notification and control,” Financier Worldwide, June 2014
- “Squaring the Circle: The EU’s Quest for Balance between Antitrust and Intellectual Property”, GCR, The European Antitrust Review, 2014 and 2015 editions
- “Handling Multijurisdictional Merger Control: Procedures”, Training video, Competition Law Observatory, February 2013
- “EU Merger Control in 2012. A look at last year’s highlights,” Competition Law Insight, January 2013
- “Antitrust aspects of Settlement Agreements”, C5 Biotech & Pharma Patenting Conference, London, October 2012
- “Managing Multijurisdictional Merger Control”, Presentation at IBA Annual Conference, Dublin, October 2012
- “EU Merger Control in 2011,” Competition Law Insight, January 2012
- “EU Merger Control and the Full Function Test for Joint Ventures,” Competition Law Insight, December 2010
- “Treatment of Minority Acquisitions under EU and International Merger Control,” European Competition Law Review, September 2010