Mark Hamlin advises clients in a variety of environmental health and safety matters, including federal and state regulations, enforcement actions, permitting, litigation and transactional matters. Mark's practice is particularly focused on Texas and federal air quality rules where he has advised clients on compliance with applicable air quality programs and has represented companies with litigation and enforcement actions at the federal, state and local levels. Mark has also represented industry coalitions and multi-client groups in litigation and rulemakings related to the development and implementation of air quality regulations at the state and national levels. This experience has provided him with an in-depth understanding of the implications of air regulations as applied to a broad spectrum of industry participants, including upstream and midstream facilities, refineries, manufacturers, and electric generating units.
- Exploration and production company – Represented client in lease-based oilfield remediation litigation and the related state agency investigations.
- Exploration and production company – Advised client during an environmental compliance audit of its exploration and production operations under state audit privilege laws.
- Industry coalition – Represented a multi-client group as amici curiae in the Fifth Circuit appeal of a U.S. District Court Clean Air Act citizen suit decision.
- Industry coalition – Represented a multi-client group as intervenors in support of EPA in the Fifth Circuit challenge to the agency's approval of "redesignation substitutes" for the Houston-Galveston-Brazoria area under the 1-hour and 1997 National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone.
- Industry coalition – Represented a multi-client group as intervenors in support of EPA in the D.C. Circuit challenge to the agency's initial area designations under the 2015 National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone.
- Industry coalition – Participated in multi-state joint defense group rulemaking advocacy and litigation efforts relating the EPA's Regional Haze Rule and its 2015 SSM SIP Call.
- Interstate pipeline company – Assisted in the negotiation of a Consent Decree to resolve alleged violations of the federal Clean Water Act in connection with pipeline spills.
- Major refining company – Represented a Texas refinery in state and local government actions and a Clean Air Act citizen suit alleging violations relating to air emissions events and permit deviations.
- Major refining company – Advised a Texas refinery in developing responses to concerns raised in an environmental group's petition objecting to the refinery's Title V permit.
- Terminal company – Advised client in connection with the applicability of state and federal air quality regulations. associated with the construction and operation of an offshore export terminal.
- Utility company – Represented an integrated power company in interventions in the D.C. and Fifth Circuits in connection with challenges to EPA's regulations regarding interstate air pollution transport.
- Utility company – Drafted comments in response to EPA's proposed action to require the site-specific application of the Best Available Retrofit Technology in connection with the Regional Haze Rule.