Manny Grillo chairs the firm's Financial Restructuring Practice and represents secured and unsecured creditors, Chapter 11 debtors and borrowers, as well as both sellers and purchasers in distressed mergers and acquisitions. His practice encompasses both out-of-court debt restructurings, and the reorganization and liquidation of financially distressed businesses under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Grillo's restructuring experience extends across a broad array of industries having represented troubled companies or their stakeholders in the restructurings of energy and power companies; commercial real estate and hospitality properties and asset portfolios; technology, media and telecom businesses; airlines; healthcare providers; financial services firms; and troubled companies in other industries.
Mr. Grillo regularly advises lenders, investment funds, sponsors and other financial institutions regarding insolvency and restructuring matters in complex financings and securitizations. He negotiates distressed financing transactions, including debtor in possession loans on behalf of both lenders and borrowers and litigates contested confirmation and financing matters, as well as avoidance actions and lender liability claims.
From time to time, he has represented clients in internal investigation matters and commercial litigation involving notes, indentures, and other financial instruments in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Grillo is a member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee and its Pro Bono Committee. He participates in a number of industry and civic activities including American Bankruptcy Institute, the Board of Volunteers of Legal Services in New York City, and the Editorial Advisory Board for Bankruptcy Law360.
- A diversified oilfield services company and its affiliates in their pre-packaged chapter 11 cases
- An offshore drilling and marine services business in the confirmed pre-packaged chapter 11 cases for it and its affiliates
- Insurance company lenders as senior secured creditors of troubled high tech and plastics products manufacturers
- A distressed aluminum products company in its out-of-court restructuring
- Investors in a troubled Alaskan oil and gas exploration and production company in litigation in New York, Delaware and Alaska
- A North American professional soccer league in an internal investigation arising from the FIFA bribery scandal and an investigation into a league game protest
- A troubled cooperative bank in the restructuring of $500 million of its debt
- An investment fund holding debt secured by life settlement assets in a troubled hedge fund's Chapter 11 cases
- An ad-hoc committee of second lien creditors in the restructuring of $500 million of secured debt of one of the largest independent futures brokerage and clearing firms
- The DIP Lender and credit-bidder in the section 363 sale for Grubb & Ellis one of the nation's largest real estate brokerage firms
- The controlling mezzanine lender in its foreclosure on a portfolio of hospitality assets with a value of $1.5 billion
- The sponsor of a portfolio of hospitality assets concentrated in the southeastern United States in the restructuring of $600 million of debt
- Mezzanine and mortgage lenders for both commercial and multifamily residential properties and lenders to Native American gaming facilities
- A top wireless device service and distribution company and its parent with revenues of $2 billion prior to bankruptcy in their Chapter 11 cases, the sale of their assets and confirmation of their Chapter 11 plan
- Junior capital lenders to troubled borrowers in prepackaged bankruptcy cases and periodically in their exercise of remedies
- Individual creditors and ad hoc groups of creditors in some of the country's largest bankruptcy cases, including Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Northwest Airlines, Delphi Corporation and Silicon Graphics, Inc.
- The DIP Lenders in in the NextWave Telecom cases
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Moderator, Director's Forum
Supreme Court Refuses to Allow End Run Around the Absolute Priority Rule in Structured Dismissals of Chapter 11 CasesFirm Thought Leadership
We will discuss the hot topics and challenges confronting directors across industries in 2018 and offer up best practices for facing these challenges.
Baker Botts Corporate Series: "Has the Nightmare Ended?" A Real Time Update on the State of the Energy Finance Market
With energy prices appearing to be lower for longer, Baker Botts and Jefferies will share insights from the finance and restructuring markets and highlight some of the latest developments and trends.
Debtwire will be hosting its highly anticipated Distressed Energy Forum in Houston on Wednesday, November 2, 2016.