Derek Green is the firmwide deputy chair of the tax department at Baker Botts. He focuses on federal income tax matters, including cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, international joint ventures and securities offerings. Derek also handles tax planning for companies in the United States and other countries, including internal restructuring for optimal tax results.
Prior to attending law school and joining Baker Botts, Mr. Green worked for five years as an aerospace engineer with the Lockheed Martin Corporation at the Johnson Space Center.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Transocean Ltd. – sale of jackup fleet to Norwegian based Borr Drilling Limited for $1.35 billion
- Schlumberger Limited – $10 billion acquisition of Cameron International
- Transocean Ltd. – sale of 38 shallow water drilling rigs to Shelf Drilling
- Noble Corporation – $2.16 billion acquisition of FDR Holdings Limited
- Schlumberger Limited – $11 billion acquisition of Smith International
- Pride International, Inc. – merger with Ensco plc
- McMoran Exploration Co. – acquisition of Plains Exploration & Production Company's shallow water Gulf of Mexico shelf assets
- Liberty Global, Inc. – sale of its 54%-owned subsidiary AUSTAR United Communications Limited to FOXTEL for $1 billion
- Noble Corporation plc – spin-off of Paragon Offshore plc
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation – spin-off of Seventy Seven Energy, Inc.
- McDermott International, Inc. – spinoff of The Babcock & Wilcox Company
- Pride International, Inc. – spin-off of Seahawk Drilling, Inc.
- Transocean Ltd. – acquisition of Transocean Partners LLC in a share-for-unit merger transaction
- Transocean Ltd. – IPO of Transocean Partners LLC
- Noble Corporation – redomestication to the UK
- Noble Corporation – redomestication to Switzerland
- Transocean Inc. – redomestication to Switzerland
- Schlumberger Limited – formation of OneSubsea joint venture with Cameron International Corporation
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. – joint venture with Avista Capital Holdings, LP to acquire and develop Marcellus Shale properties
- Petroleum Development Corporation – formation of PDC Mountaineer joint venture with Lime Rock Partners
- Schlumberger Limited – formation of IntelliServ joint venture with National Oilwell Varco
Awards & Community
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2015-2018
Listed in Chambers USA, 2016-2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013-2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S. as a nationwide leading lawyer for tax: “a very bright and very able tax attorney with a quick mind and a deep knowledge of corporate taxation,” 2007
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2004-2007
Publications, Speeches & Presentations