Jason German serves clients as a creative advocate and practical advisor in a variety of intellectual property practice areas across a wide range of technological fields. In particular, Mr. German has significant experience in patent litigation, patent prosecution and pre-litigation consulting for a diverse set of clients.
Mr. German has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation, from pleadings to trial and appeal. Mr. German currently represents Fortune 10 and Fortune 200 clients as the lead associate on complex patent cases involving multiple patents. Previously, Mr. German served as a core member of a pre-trial and trial team that secured a favorable jury verdict in a lawsuit involving multiple asserted patents. Mr. German also represents clients in post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and has advised clients prior to litigation on patentability and freedom to operate.
Mr. German maintains an active patent-prosecution practice in a wide variety of technological areas, including computer hardware, software, electronics, telecommunications and medical devices. Mr. German’s prosecution practice includes developing and managing patent portfolios for clients of all sizes, including large corporations and early-stage startups. Mr. German has prosecuted more than one hundred patent applications before the USPTO. His comprehensive experience in patent prosecution includes ex parte appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- United Access Technologies LLC v. AT&T Inc. et al., No. 1:11-cv-00338-LPS (D. Del.) – Lead associate representing telecommunications companies in multi-patent dispute related to DSL technology. Responsible for developing and implementing case strategy from pre-discovery through summary judgment.
- Memory device company – Lead associate representing Fortune 200 client in early stages of litigation involving multiple patents asserted in the Central District of California.
- Memory device company – Representing Fortune 200 client in an inter partes review proceeding before the USPTO.
- Software company – Representing client asserting multiple patents against competitor in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Heilman v. Cherniss, et al., No. 15-15912 (9th Cir.) – Representing pro bono appellant-prisoner asserting Eight Amendment claims.
- Enovsys LLC v. AT&T Mobility LLC, et al., No. cv-11-05210-SS (C.D. Cal.) – Represented wireless carriers against allegations of patent infringement related to location-based services. Key contributor throughout all stages of the litigation. Core member of trial team that secured a jury verdict in the clients' favor and upheld the verdict against post-trial motions.
- Manage client relationship and manage and develop U.S. patent portfolio for subsidiary of Global Fortune 15 electronics company.
- Manage and develop part of a large U.S. and foreign patent portfolio in client-facing role for Fortune 200 internet company.
- Managed client relationships and patent portfolios for several early-stage technology companies in diverse technological fields.
- Prepared opinions for Fortune 200 client regarding infringement of patents related to memory storage technologies.
- Prepared freedom-to-operate analysis for Fortune 200 client regarding online services.
- Advised Fortune 200 internet company regarding acquisition of patent portfolio consisting of several hundred software patents.
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
PTAB Trials Blog