- Halliburton Energy Services, Inc. v. Weatherford International, Inc.(Northern District of Texas) – Represented Halliburton in a patent infringement action relating to composite packers, bridge plugs and frac plugs. The jury returned a $34 million verdict in Halliburton's favor.
- LG Electronics, Inc. v. Whirlpool (District Court of Delaware) – Represented Whirlpool and its subsidiary Maytag in a patent infringement action involving refrigerator storage and dispensing systems. At trial in March of 2010, Whirlpool received a favorable jury verdict on both its key patent and on the one patent LG pursued at trial.
- LG Electronics, Inc. v. Whirlpool Corp. (District Court of New Jersey) – Defended Whirlpool in a four-patent case brought by LG Electronics relating to ice and water delivery systems for refrigerators/freezers. Argued Markman hearing, and handled concurrent reexaminations of the asserted patents. This case was resolved on favorable terms prior to trial.
- Carrier Corporation v. Goodman Global, Inc. et al (District of Delaware) – Baker Botts is defending Goodman in a competitor patent suit brought by Carrier involving two patents generally directed to a communication system for residential HVAC systems. One patent was dismissed with prejudice and the other patent was found by a jury to be valid and infringed. Post-trial motions were granted and a new trial has been ordered.
- In re Certain Refrigerators and Components thereof (USITC) – Represented Whirlpool Corp. in the International Trade Commission in a case involving indoor ice making systems for refrigerators, which involved a five-day hearing that was conducted before an Administrative Law Judge in December of 2008.
- Location Services IP v. Yahoo, Inc. (Eastern District of Texas) – Defended Yahoo in a case involving three patents relating to web-based location technology. The case was resolved on favorable terms prior to a Markman hearing
- LBS Innovations, LLC v. Yahoo, Inc., et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Defended Yahoo in a multi-defendant case involving a patent relating to web-based location technology. The case was resolved on favorable terms prior to a Markman hearing
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc., et al. v. Bluesky Medical Corp., et al. (Western District of Texas) – Received a verdict in July of 2006 from a San Antonio jury that its clients Medela, Inc., and its Swiss parent, Medela AG, were not liable for patent infringement or unfair competition in a case concerning KCI's V.A.C. (vacuum-assisted closure) wound treatment technology. Final judgment was entered in our client's favor in early 2007, and was affirmed on appeal.
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc. (KCI) v. Medela AG, et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represented Medela in a second patent infringement action brought by KCI involving wound healing patents. A motion to transfer to the Western District of Texas was granted, and the case settled on favorable terms prior to trial.
- PGI International, Ltd. v. Anderson, Greenwood & Co. (Western District of Texas) – Represented plaintiff PGI in a patent infringement case involving stabilized connectors for instrument manifolds for pipelines. The case settled after the Markman hearing on favorable terms.
Prosecution & Transactional
- Management of patent application filing and prosecution relating to drilling, well stimulation, and cementing technologies for a major oilfield services provider
- Strategic intellectual property counseling and advice regarding freedom to operate issues, patent opinions, and licensing for a large supermarket chain
- Freedom to operate analysis, patent opinions, and patent prosecution for a major specialty chemicals manufacturer
- Advice regarding in risk management freedom to operate, employment agreements, and licensing agreements involving intellectual property for a major oilfield services provider
- Negotiation of joint development agreement with a university on behalf of a large oil and gas exploration company
- Negotiation of joint development agreement relating to fiber optic technologies used in oilfield operations
- Analysis and preparation of opinion regarding patents directed to blood processing systems for a major pharmaceutical company