Partner Sam Eversman has a Saudi Arabian commercial advisory practice assisting non-Saudi companies to establish and operate their businesses in Saudi Arabia. Sam assists clients throughout their Saudi Arabian business cycles - from identification, due diligence and engagement of Saudi agents and distributors to corporate licensing and commercial registration for their Saudi subsidiaries, branches and joint ventures and compliance with Saudi labor, immigration, “Saudiization” and income and withholding tax.
Sam has over 20 years of Middle East experience and has lived and practiced in Turkey, Kuwait and the UAE in addition to Saudi Arabia. He advises businesses to explore, structure, establish and conduct operations in the private and public/government procurement sectors in Saudi Arabia and throughout the Middle East.
Sam has authored a number of articles relating to international business and has been a speaker regarding various Saudi Arabian and Middle East related law topics including Doing Business in Saudi Arabia and Middle East Anti-Bribery Regulations. He is a certified public accountant (CPA).
Current Corporate Matters
- Represent U.S. manufacturers of oil field services products and technology in formation of joint ventures and pursuit and performance of contracts with Saudi Aramco and SABIC
- Represent international energy engineering firm in joint venture with Saudi Aramco
- Represent global oil field services firm in connection with Middle East aspects of merger with and integration of competitor
- Represent technology/management consulting services firm in connection with licensing, registration, U.S. and Gulf regulatory issues, labor, agency and contracting in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Egypt and Yemen
- Represent U.S. defense contractors in connection with marketing, negotiation, local law implementation and offset obligations in connection with direct and U.S. Foreign Military Sales programs for the sale of aircraft and other defense systems and services programs in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the UAE, Egypt and Qatar
- Advise a U.S. company in connection with the establishment, operation, environmental and other compliance aspects of a joint venture to manufacture float glass in the Middle East
- Represent U.S. provider of off-shore oil rigs in establishment of business presence and transactions and compliance in the Middle East
- Represent U.S. construction, architecture, engineering and design firms on regulatory and “Professional Company” and commercial licensing issues, procurement, contracting and disputes throughout the Middle East and North Africa
- Represent global oil field services company with respect to Saudi Competition Law analysis and compliance in connection with acquisition of competitor
- Represent multi-national fast moving consumer goods company and tobacco products company in connection with Saudi Competition Law compliance issues
- Represent defense contractor in licensing, Saudi income tax and withholding planning for Government to Government (FMS) and direct commercial sales to Saudi Arabian National Guard
- Represented medical device manufactures and pharmaceutical suppliers in connection with local regulatory matters including conduct of clinical trials and regulated marketing practices
- Represented U.S. contractors in connection with U.S. regulatory aspects of public sector procurement in the Gulf (e.g., FCPA, compliance program development and implementation, due diligence, investigations) and related local anti-bribery laws
- Negotiated offset obligations and structuring and implementing of offset programs and investments throughout the Arabian Gulf region
- Represent transportation engineering/construction firm in connection with a dispute within Qatar Government
- Represented oil field services firm in ICC arbitration against its Saudi joint venture partner regarding various Saudi LLC corporate governance issues
- Represent U.S. multinational in appeal of Saudi Department of Income Tax and Zakat (DZIT) assessment and withholding tax penalty
Consumer Goods and Franchising
- Represented many fast moving consumer goods and industrial companies in a wide range of corporate and commercial matters in the Middle East and North Africa
- Represented several international franchisors in structuring franchisee relationships and activities in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and throughout the Middle East
Awards & Community
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Saudi Arabian Legal System and Public Sector ProcurementExternal Articles
TRACE Antibribery Solutions www.traceinternational.org
Baker Botts lawyers will participate in an open discussion in regards to Saudi Arabia law and practice.