Brendan Dignan represents public and private companies, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies, in mergers and acquisitions and joint venture transactions. He also advises clients on corporate governance and securities law compliance. He has represented clients in a number of industries including energy, defense, technology, media, and telecommunications, many of which included a cross-border element.
He began his legal career in New York in the public M&A group of an international law firm before moving to Baker Botts, where he has worked in the firm’s New York and Washington offices.
Prior to law school, Brendan served as a combat arms officer in the U.S. Army with tours in Iraq and Kosovo. His pro bono practice includes significant experience representing military veterans and veterans organizations and other non-profit entities in higher education, technology, and the arts located in New York and Washington. He also serves on the employment committee in the Washington office.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity, and Joint Ventures
- American Industrial Partners, a middle market private equity sponsor in a variety of transactions and industries
- A special situations/distressed investment sponsor in number of transactions
- A Canadian-based alternative investment manager in the sale of interests in a portfolio company
- DigitalGlobe, Inc., a satellite imagery company in connection with a joint venture transaction
- The Prudential Insurance Company of America and the Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, in their acquisition of interests in West Deptford Energy from LS Power
- Crius Energy, LLC, in its $173 million acquisition of U.S. Gas & Electric, Inc.
- MasterCard, in its acquisition of an interest in First Performance Global
- A secondary live event ticket manager in its sale of equity interests
- The Walt Disney Company, in its $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
- Liberty Interactive Corporation, in its $2.4 billion acquisition of zulily, inc. by way of an exchange offer
- Liberty Interactive Corporation, in its $430 million sale of Provide Commerce, Inc. (ProFlowers), to FTD Companies, Inc
- Liberty Media Corporation, in its $847 million common stock repurchase from Comcast Corporation and exchange of Leisure Arts, Inc. and a revenue sharing agreement relating to carriage of CNBC
- Liberty Media Corporation, in its sale of $500 million of Sirius XM Holdings Inc. common stock in a repurchase transaction
- Liberty Media Corporation, in its sale of preferred stock in Barnes & Noble, Inc.
- Monitronics International, Inc., in its $502 million acquisition of Security Networks LLC from affiliates of Oak Hill Capital Partners
- Monitronics International, Inc., in its $130 million acquisition of alarm monitoring accounts from Pinnacle Security
- AGL Resources Inc., in its $3.1 billion acquisition of Nicor Inc.
- The AES Corporation, in its sale of the Red Oak power generation station to Energy Capital Partners
- The AES Corporation, in its sale of the Ironwood power generation station to PPL Corporation
- ProLiance Energy, in the restructuring and sale of its natural gas marketing business to an affiliate of Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Industrias Unidas, S.A. de C.V., in its sale of United Copper Industries, Inc. to KPS Partners, L.P.
- Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc., in its $1.9 billion unsolicited cash tender offer for Casey's General Stores, Inc.
- A privately held energy corporation in connection with its acquisition of the remaining partnership interests in a gas-fired power project
- A major Mexican financial services company in a bid for a Mexican asset management company
- Co-counsel to The Independent Order of Foresters, a Canadian fraternal benefit organization, in its acquisition of financial services company, First Investors Consolidated Corporation
Capital Markets and Corporate Governance
- Liberty Global plc, in connection with subsidiary VTR Finance B.V.'s global offering of US$1.4 billion of senior secured notes due 2024
- Liberty Global plc, in connection with its tracking stock structure
- A publicly traded motor sports promoter in connection with corporate governance advice
- An oil and gas exploration company in its corporate restructuring
- A privately held domestic publishing company in its corporate restructuring
Counsel to Financial Advisors
- Morgan Stanley & Co. as financial advisor to UIL Holdings in its $4.8 billion combination with Iberdrola USA
- Lazard Freres as financial advisor to the Conflicts Committee of TerraForm Power, Inc. in the $2.3 billion acquisition of Vivint Solar, Inc. by TerraForm and SunEdison Inc.
- Lazard Freres as financial advisor to the Conflicts Committee of TerraForm Power, Inc. in the $2.4 billion acquisition of First Wind Holdings by TerraForm and SunEdison Inc.
- Barclays Capital as financial advisor to Wisconsin Energy in its $9.1 billion acquisition of Integrys Energy
- Barclays Capital as financial advisor in Exelon in its $6.7 billion acquisition of Pepco Holdings
Baker Botts is proud to support and sponsor the Global War on Terror Memorial Foundation’s inaugural fundraising event on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 in Washington, DC.