Hogene Choi works on a range of intellectual property matters, focusing primarily on patent prosecution, transactions, and counseling, and she co-chairs the Patent Counseling & Strategic Portfolio Development Practice Group. Ms. Choi has patent prosecution and transactions experience covering technologies related to machine learning and artificial intelligence, blockchain, computer vision, cloud infrastructure and services, internet applications and server-side architecture, desktop applications and operating systems, graphics and audio/video as well as semiconductors, medical devices, electronics, nanotechnology and the mechanical arts.
Ms. Choi also has patent litigation experience in pre-trial investigation, discovery management, pleadings, motion practice, claim construction, invalidity analysis and settlement negotiations for both cases filed at the U.S. District Courts and at the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Patent Prosecution and Transactional
- Global networking service company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Financial services, merchant services aggregator, and mobile payment company – patent procurement in the areas of blockchain technologies, cryptocurrency-based transactions, and mobile payments
- Cloud-computing software and hyper-converged infrastructure company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Artificial intelligence development platform for edge computing – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- 3D computer animation studio – patent procurement in the areas of 3D computer graphics and animation development tools
- Consumer financial and banking services company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Customer relationship management and cloud-computing services company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Online multimedia content development, computer graphics, and image editing software products – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Cloud infrastructure and hybrid cloud integration service – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Semiconductor EDA software company – patent procurement in the areas of design synthesis and verification
- Major telecommunications service provider – defense against a patent infringement suit filed by a non-practicing entity
- E-commerce service provider – pre-litigation investigation of a patent portfolio, counseling regarding patent infringement claims and negotiations with patent-holders
- Semiconductor manufacturing equipment company – defense against a patent infringement suit filed at the ITC
- Sole inventor (heart surgeon) – representation in a patent infringement suit against a large corporation
- Fiber laser technology company – defense against a patent infringement suit
Awards & Community
Recognized as one of the 2018 Women of Influence by Silicon Valley Business Journal
Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer-Rising Star, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
Recognized as a "Next Generation Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2017 & 2018
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Machine Generated Assets: Understanding the Intersection of AI and IP and How to Protect Your ClientSpeeches & Presentations
ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting
NAPABA Western Regional Conference
IP Counsel Cafe, Silicon Valley Annual Meeting
Baker Botts joins Blossom Wealth Management as a featured sponsor of the 4th annual Flight 2 Freedom Summit.
Baker Botts lawyers in a joint presentation with Neil Joseph of Stack Lighting, addressing issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including loT use cases, interoperability and data privacy.