Hogene Choi works on a range of intellectual property matters, focusing primarily on patent prosecution, transactions, and counseling. Ms. Choi has patent prosecution experience covering technologies related to internet applications and server-side architecture, desktop applications and operating systems, EDA, graphics and audio/video as well as semiconductors, electronics, nanotechnology and the mechanical arts. Ms. Choi has worked on both U.S. and international patent prosecution, pre-acquisition due diligence, post-acquisition portfolio mining and pre-assertion due diligence.
Ms. Choi also has patent litigation experience in pre-trial investigation, discovery management, pleadings, motion practice, claim construction, invalidity analysis and settlement negotiations for both cases filed at the U.S. District Courts and at the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Major telecommunications service provider - defense against a patent infringement suit filed by a non-practicing entity
- E-commerce service provider – pre-litigation investigation of a patent portfolio, counseling regarding patent infringement claims and negotiations with patent-holders
- Semiconductor manufacturing equipment company – defense against a patent infringement suit filed at the ITC
- Sole inventor (heart surgeon) – representation in a patent infringement suit against a large corporation
- Fiber laser technology company – defense against a patent infringement suit
Awards & Community
Recognized as a "Next Generation Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2017
Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer-Rising Star, 2015 & 2016
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Intellectual Property Report
Baker Botts lawyers in a joint presentation with Neil Joseph of Stack Lighting, addressing issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including loT use cases, interoperability and data privacy.