Hogene Choi works on a range of intellectual property matters, focusing primarily on patent prosecution, transactions, and counseling. Ms. Choi has patent prosecution experience covering technologies related to internet applications and server-side architecture, desktop applications and operating systems, EDA, graphics and audio/video as well as semiconductors, electronics, nanotechnology and the mechanical arts. Ms. Choi has worked on both U.S. and international patent prosecution, pre-acquisition due diligence, post-acquisition portfolio mining and pre-assertion due diligence.
Ms. Choi also has patent litigation experience in pre-trial investigation, discovery management, pleadings, motion practice, claim construction, invalidity analysis and settlement negotiations for both cases filed at the U.S. District Courts and at the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Major telecommunications service provider - defense against a patent infringement suit filed by a non-practicing entity
- E-commerce service provider – pre-litigation investigation of a patent portfolio, counseling regarding patent infringement claims and negotiations with patent-holders
- Semiconductor manufacturing equipment company – defense against a patent infringement suit filed at the ITC
- Sole inventor (heart surgeon) – representation in a patent infringement suit against a large corporation
- Fiber laser technology company – defense against a patent infringement suit
Awards & Community
Recognized as a "Next Generation Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2017
Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer-Rising Star, 2015 & 2016
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Baker Botts lawyers will provide an MCLE program and host a panel discussion of the latest developments in IPR and CBM proceedings.
The Internet of Things (IoT): the Legal Implications of Smart Cars, Smart Homes, Smart Cities and Beyond
CLE presentation addressing legal issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including IP rights, IP licensing, patent infringement and assertion, data privacy, and data security.
Baker Botts lawyers in a joint presentation with Neil Joseph of Stack Lighting, addressing issues involved in technologies related to the Internet of Things, including loT use cases, interoperability and data privacy.