Lee D. Charles' practice focuses on representing publicly held and privately owned companies in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and capital-raising activities, both in the United States and internationally. He served as Partner in Charge of the firm's New York office for more than 10 years.
Much of his practice has involved representing industry leaders in the media and communications, chemical, industrial products, and sports and entertainment sectors.
He has been described by clients as an “exceptionally talented, creative problem solver.” (The Legal 500 US, 2011)
In addition to his transactional work, Mr. Charles counsels public companies and their directors in a wide variety of matters, including compliance with federal securities laws and corporate governance. He has extensive experience in transactions involving special committees formed to deal with interested party or conflict of interest issues, including several “going private” and other transactions involving control shareholders.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Snap-Tite, Inc. – sale to Parker-Hannifin Corporation
- Nagra USA, Inc. – acquisition of Milestone Systems, Inc..
- Red Man Pipe & Supply Company – business combination with McJunkin Corporation in a transaction valued at over $1 billion
Liberty Media Corporation
- acquisition of Provide Commerce, Inc.
- acquisition of Ascent Entertainment Group, Inc.
- acquisition of a controlling interest in Home Shopping Network, Inc., through a private stock purchase and partial tender offer
- investments in Emmis Communications, Inc. and Alloy, Inc.
Mediacom Communications Corporation
- purchase and sale of numerous cable television, broadband and telephony systems throughout the United States
- $180 million redemption of Morris Communications’ equity stake in a transaction structured as a “cash-rich split off”
- investment in First Performance, Inc.
Akzo Nobel, N.V.
- acquisition of Chemcraft International, Inc.
- acquisition of Covance Biotechnology Services, Inc.
- acquisition of marine and aerospace coatings business of U.S. Paint Corporation
- acquisition of Chinese and Korean powder coatings business of Ferro Corporation
- acquisition of automotive coatings business of Dexter Corporation
- sale of phosphorus chemical division to Ripplewood Holdings
- sale of joint venture interest in Flexsys, NV, a rubber processing chemical business
- OpenTV Corp. – acquisitions of Wink Communications, Inc., ACTV, Inc. and BettingCorp, Ltd.
- Liz Lange LLC – sale of Liz Lange Maternity brand to Bluestar Alliance
- Discovery Communications, Inc. – acquisition of The Learning Channel, Inc.
- Kearns-Tribune Corporation – sale of the Lewiston Morning Tribune, Whitman County Gazette and Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- Whitehall Corporation – merger with Aviation Sales Company
- Tele-Communications, Inc. – acquisition of Kearns-Tribune Corporation, the publisher of The Salt Lake Tribune
- Tele-Communications, Inc. – acquisition of substantially all of Viacom Inc.’s cable television systems
Special Committee & Related Transactions
- Special Committee of the Independent Directors of Intersections, Inc. – ;offer by control shareholder to acquire pet health monitoring business
- Special Committee of Independent Directors of Swift Transportation Company – $225 million acquisition of Central Refrigerated Transportation, Inc.
- Mediacom Communications Corporation – $370 million “going-private” transaction by control shareholder
- OpenTV, Inc – $215 million “going-private” transaction by Kudelski SA via a tender offer
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of 24/7 Media, Inc. – review of a financing transaction with a director and significant stockholder
- Liberty Media Corporation – acquisition of Liberty Digital, Inc. in a “going-private” transaction
- Tele-Communications, Inc. – acquisition of TCI International in a “going-private transaction”
- United Artists Entertainment Company – acquisition of United Cable Television Corporation in a “going-private” transaction
- YankeeNets, LLC – formation of the Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network and sale of a significant stake to Goldman Sachs and others
- NBA Houston Rockets – formation of a regional sports network and licensing of media rights of Rockets and Astros to Fox Sports
- Formation of a strategic partnership among Liberty Media Corporation, Barry Diller and Comcast Corporation with respect to their controlling interest in QVC
- TVG Network – joint bid with the New York Racing Association to acquire the assets of New York City Off-Track Betting Corporation
Awards & Community
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc.), 2009-2015
Named ‘Client Service All-Star’ in BTI’s 2010 & 2011 Client Service Survey
Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2011-2016