Alex J. Bourelly is firmwide Chair of the Securities Regulation & Enforcement Practice. Mr. Bourelly represents individual and corporate clients in a wide range of criminal and civil investigations and trials, including those involving allegations of securities fraud, healthcare fraud, antitrust violations, violations of the Clean Water Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Mr. Bourelly has also led more than a dozen domestic and international internal corporate investigations. He represents clients from a variety of industries including Banking and Finance, Real Estate, Pharmaceutical, Defense Contracting, Media, Transportation, Energy and International Consulting and Systems Integration. Mr. Bourelly has represented a number of individuals in high-profile matters including defending Lewis “Scooter” Libby of criminal charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and civil claims; and defending Lord Conrad M. Black of securities fraud and misappropriation of corporate assets.
Before joining Baker Botts, Mr. Bourelly worked for more than four years in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia where he served as senior trial assistant in the Fraud and Public Corruption Section and the Homicide/Major Crimes Section. He has prosecuted more than sixty criminal jury and bench trials and argued eight appellate matters in both state and federal courts.
Prior to his work in the U.S. Attorney's Office, Mr. Bourelly spent more than three years as senior counsel in the Securities and Exchange Commission's Division of Enforcement, where he was responsible for cases involving insider trading, market manipulation and accounting fraud.
Mr. Bourelly has been recognized as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer (2007-2016) and named by Securities Docket to its "Enforcement 40 for 2013," Securities Docket’s inaugural list of the "40 best and brightest securities enforcement defense lawyers."
- Represented a global Fortune 500 technology company in investigation of payment irregularities (including bribes, kickbacks and financial misappropriation) in Latin America and Europe; advised on extensive remediation measures
- Represented publicly traded master limited partnership in SEC accounting fraud investigation; convinced the Staff to close the investigation without recommending an enforcement action
- Multinational I.T. and Consulting Services Corporation - Performed international internal investigation and represented corporation in connection with accounting fraud allegations in the UK, Europe and Australia
- Pipeline Construction Company - Represented company in connection with an SEC investigation concerning certain accounting restatements. Convinced the Staff to close the investigation without recommending an enforcement action
- Engineering and Electric Power Construction - Performed internal audit committee investigation into alleged accounting irregularities on construction-type contracts
- Major Defense Contractor - Represented company in multi-agency investigation of possible ITAR violations relating to transactions in Iraq; matter favorably resolved with minimal fine
- International Automotive Lighting Manufacturer - Represented Senior Sales Executive in connection with the DOJ Antitrust Division’s sweeping investigation into collusive pricing activities in the automotive industry; matter resolved with no action against client
- Hollinger International - Representation of Lord Conrad M. Black, former chairman and CEO, in connection with lawsuits alleging a $500 million securities fraud scheme and corporate looting
- SEC v. Thomas W. Jones, et al. - Summary judgment granted in favor of Mr. Jones, former CEO of Citigroup Global Asset Management, in connection with a SEC lawsuit alleging violations of the Investment Advisors Act
- I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby - Representation of former Chief of Staff to Vice President Richard B. Cheney in defense of criminal charges of perjury, false statements, and obstruction of justice and civil claims alleging violations of various constitutional rights. Received dismissal of all civil charges after argument in the district court
- Major Defense Contractor - Represented the former General Counsel in connection with DOJ and Department of State investigations alleging violations of the International Traffic In Arms Regulations and the FCPA in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Nevis Fund - Representation of a mutual fund in a securities fraud action brought by a fund shareholder in which the suit was dismissed after argument in district court
- Freddie Mac - Internal investigation into an accounting matter associated with a multibillion-dollar financial restatement
- Van der Moolen Specialists - Performed internal investigation and represented a NYSE specialist firm in connection with NYSE and SEC investigations of alleged improper trading practices
- Major Management Consulting and Technology Company - Defended company against allegations of fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract resulting in favorable jury verdict
- Washington Government Relations Firm - Representation of the firm president in connection with a congressional investigation into alleged financial wrongdoing at HealthSouth Corporation
- International Home and Personal Care Products Manufacturer - Performed internal investigation and represented the corporation in connection with a DOJ investigation into allegations of Clean Water Act violations
- Major Pharmaceutical Company - Represented company executive in connection with DOJ/Antitrust Division investigation of suspected price signaling in the market for blood bank reagents
- International Freight Forwarding Company - Represented company executive in connection with DOJ/Antitrust Division investigation into price-fixing by forwarders in Japan and China and potential FCPA violations; matter resolved with no action against client
- International Oil Field Services Company - Investigated allegations and represented the company in connection with an SEC investigation into potential FCPA violations involving contracts in various African and the Middle Eastern countries
- Other clients - Grand jury investigations in the Southern District of New York, the Northern District of Illinois, the Southern District of Florida, the District of New Mexico, the Northern District of Georgia, and the Northern District of California focused on securities fraud, accounting fraud, bribery, tax evasion and obstruction of justice
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer, 2007-2017
Recognized as One of the Top 40 SEC Enforcement Lawyers by Securities Docket, 2013 & 2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Bloomberg Law's Securities Regulation & Law Report
DOJ Reinforces Important Themes and Rigor Needed in Evaluating the Effectiveness of Compliance ProgramsFirm Thought Leadership
White Collar Update