"He is just outstanding - very knowledgeable of both the law and the industry. He's very responsive when it comes to our needs, and the advice that he gives is just first-rate."
Chambers USA 2015
Sean Boland is a senior partner and a past Co-Chair of the Antitrust Practice of Baker Botts. His practice focuses on representing companies before the U.S. and international antitrust enforcement agencies. His areas of experience include mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, intellectual property and transactional antitrust. He has also represented large and small companies in criminal antitrust proceedings and in complex civil antitrust litigation. Mr. Boland has guided numerous mergers and acquisitions, in a broad range of industries, through the federal and foreign antitrust review process. He is skilled in drafting and negotiating acquisition agreements and handling contested transactions through pre-merger second requests and consent order proceedings at both the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice.
He has represented clients in various high-tech industries including healthcare, oil and gas production and drilling, mining and mining equipment, basic metals and chemicals, heavy manufacturing, regulated industries, electric motors, gas turbines, transportation and financial services.
Additionally, Mr. Boland has served as lead defense counsel in complex criminal and civil litigation involving the trucking, petroleum drill bit, hand tool, office products, outdoor advertising and fluid milk industries. He has also engineered creative settlements in various litigation proceedings as well as in the mergers and acquisitions area.
Mr. Boland previously was Co-Chair of the prestigious and accomplished private Antitrust Practice at Howrey. He has been recognized as a leading international antitrust practitioner in Who’s Who Legal, Chambers, Legal 500, Washington Magazine and BTI Client Service All Stars.
- Acquisition by Halliburton of Baker Hughes. Representing Halliburton.
- Acquisition of Dresser-Rand by Siemens. Represented Dresser-Rand.
- Acquisition by Caterpillar Inc. of Bucyrus International, Inc. Represents Caterpillar.
- Acquisition by Baker Hughes Incorporated of BJ Services Company. Represented Baker Hughes Incorporated.
- Acquisition of Smith International, Inc. by Schlumberger Limited. Represented Smith International, Inc.
- Acquisition of A.O. Smith Corporation’s motor division by Regal Beloit Corporation. Represents A.O. Smith Corporation.
- Sale of Wood Group PLC’s Well Support Division to General Electric. Represented Wood Group PLC.
- Merger of National-Oilwell, Inc. and Varco International, Inc. Represented both merging parties.
- Acquisition of York International by Johnson Controls, Inc. Represented York.
- United States Steel Corporation’s Acquisition of Lone Star Steel. Represented Lone Star Steel.
- Acquisition by Caterpillar Inc. of Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD). Represented Caterpillar Inc.
- Acquisition of Roadway Corporation by Yellow Corporation. Represented Yellow Corporation.
- Acquisition by Precision Castparts of Wyman-Gordon Co. Represented Precision Castparts.
- Acquisition of Harbison-Walker Refractories Co. by RHI AG. Represented Global Technologies, Inc., parent of Harbison- Walker.
- Sale of Can Division of Reynolds Metals Company to Ball Corporation. Represented Reynolds Metals Company.
- Joint Venture between Baker Hughes, Incorporated and Schlumberger Limited. Represented Baker Hughes, Incorporated.
- Sale of National Advertising Company by 3M Company. Represented 3M Company.
Awards & Community
Listed in Chambers USA, Antitrust, 2014-2017
Who's Who Legal 2008-2017
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013-2017
Recognized as a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2013-2015, 2017
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Of Counsel - Practice Group Spotlight
7th Circuit Confirms That Sherman Act Does Not Reach Injuries Suffered Outside U.S.Firm Thought Leadership
Baker Botts is proud to co-sponsor the 9th Annual Global Antitrust Enforcement Symposium.