Samir Bhavsar is a technically agile, full-service intellectual property lawyer who works closely with his clients who praise him for being “quick to understand the facts” and comment that the “quality of his work is excellent, is done efficiently and he provides a very well written product.” The Legal 500 (2010). They also value his combination of skills, noting that Mr. Bhavsar “knows his patent prosecution, licensing and litigation - this many skills in one person is rare.” The Legal 500 (2013).
Mr. Bhavsar litigates patent cases nationwide, including in the hotbeds of Texas, California, and Delaware, as well as before the PTAB. Clients find Samir's prior experience as a Chief IP Counsel key to assisting them with developing valuable patent portfolios through strategic patent mining, preparation and prosecution. He has twice been recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” by The Legal 500 (2010 & 2013) for his work in this field. Clients also rely on him to draft and negotiate complex patent, software, and other technology agreements.
Mr. Bhavsar is an experienced patent litigator. He has litigated patent cases in numerous District Courts throughout the country, including the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California, the District of Delaware, the District of Nevada, the Middle District of Florida, and the Western District of Wisconsin. He also handles Inter Partes Reviews (IPRs) in conjunction with patent litigation and is therefore experienced with the strategic interplay between district court litigation and PTAB proceedings. As Mr. Bhavsar regularly represents patent owners and accused infringers in prosecution and litigation matters, he has a perspective and experience that is well-suited for IPRs and Covered Business Method Reviews (CBMRs).
Clients find Samir's technology experience to be extensive and diverse. His telecommunications background includes optical networks; LTE, WiFi, and other wireless technologies; DSL, VoIP, and other wireline technologies; and Internet enabling technologies. His electronics background includes semiconductor device design and manufacturing, integrated circuit design and manufacturing, radio frequency (RF) systems and devices, antenna technology, and digital signal processing. In the software field, he advises clients involved in developing cloud-computing technologies, image and audio processing techniques, SaaS systems, and network security applications. His retail background includes e-commerce applications, supply chain management systems, digital watermarking technologies, and Web tools. His financial services background includes electronic trading platforms, insurance products, investment services, banking tools, and asset management products.
Samir regularly drafts and negotiates agreements directed to the licensing and ownership of technology assets. He performs IP due diligence studies and offers advice regarding intellectual property issues that arise in initial public offerings, mergers, acquisitions, credit facilities and other corporate transactions. He also analyzes patents relating to competitive technologies to support in-bound and out-bound licensing efforts. Samir is also a frequent speaker on the increasing legal and technical risks facing corporations regarding Cybersecurity.
Samir has served on many Boards and Steering Committees for diversity organizations locally and nationwide, including the Dallas Bar Association, NAPABA and the Texas Minority Counsel Program. He enjoys mentoring young lawyers both within and outside the firm.
- VOIP-PAL.com v. AT&T Corp., et al. (District of Nevada) – Defending AT&T against allegations of patent infringement involving Voice-over-IP technology
- Intellectual Ventures II, LLC. v. AT&T Corp., et al. (Western District of Texas) – Defended AT&T against allegations of patent infringement involving DSL technologies in which case was dismissed based on pre-trial resolution
- Beco Dairy Automation, Inc. v. Global Tech. Systems, Inc. (Eastern District of California) – Represented GTS to assert patent and copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation claims related to dairy equipment in which case settled
- Orlando Communications, LLC v. AT&T Mobility LLC, et al. (Middle District of Forida) – Handled patent litigation defense of AT&T regarding cellular technologies in which case was dismissed following resolution of early motion practice and filing of IPR petitions
- Digital CBT LLC v. AT&T, Inc. (Central District of California) – Handled patent litigation defense of AT&T regarding video processing technology in which client was awarded summary judgment of non-infringement
- SpeedGauge, Inc. v. Inthinc Technology Solutions, Inc. (Southern District of California) – Handled patent litigation defense and assertion regarding vehicle tracking technology in which client settled on favorable terms following claim construction order
- Agricultural Instruments Corp. v. BouMatic LLC (Western District of Wisconsin) – Handled patent litigation defense of BouMatic regarding dairy equipment in which client settled on favorable terms after initial discovery exchange
- Fractus, S.A. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Handled patent litigation defense of HTC America, Inc. regarding antenna technology used in mobile devices in which client settled on favorable terms
- TQP Development, LLC v. Merrill Lynch & Co., et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Handled patent litigation defense of Merrill Lynch and Bank of America regarding data encryption in which client settled on favorable terms
- Restricted Spending Solutions, LLC v. Bank of America, et al. (Eastern District of Texas) - Handled patent litigation defense of Bank of America regarding e-commerce technologies in which client settled on favorable terms
- Actus LLC v. Bank of America, et al. (Eastern District of Texas) - Handled patent litigation defense of Bank of America regarding e-commerce in which client settled on favorable terms
- Network Signatures, Inc. v. Wal-Mart, Inc. (Central District of California) – Handled patent litigation defense of Wal-Mart regarding data encryption technologies in which client settled on favorable terms
- Arrival Star, S.A. and Melvino Technologies Ltd. v. Macy’s, Inc. et al. (Southern District of Florida) - Handled patent litigation defense of Wal-Mart regarding supply chain technologies in which client settled on favorable terms
- RFID Tracker, Ltd. v. Wal-Mart Stores, et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Handled patent litigation defense of Wal-Mart regarding RFID technology in which plaintiff stipulated to non-infringement following favorable claim construction order, which was sustained on appeal to the Federal Circuit
- Prism Technologies LLC v. Computer Associates International, Inc. (District of Delaware) – Handled patent litigation defense of Computer Associates regarding identity and access management technology in which plaintiff stipulated to non-infringement following favorable claim construction order, which was sustained on appeal to the Federal Circuit
- International financial services company – patent litigation regarding electronic trading technology in which client settled on favorable terms
- Large telecommunications company – defense of over 40 patent infringement lawsuits in which the client was awarded a summary judgment of non-infringement that was sustained on appeal to the Federal Circuit
Patent Prosecution and Transactional
- National banking institution – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Information standards organization – advice and counseling on licensing, patent litigation, and intellectual property risks associated with business transactions
- International provider of climate control products for the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration markets – development and management of worldwide patent portfolio
- International provider of milking systems and dairy farm equipment - development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio
- Start-up network security company – development and management of patent portfolio regarding Cyber security technologies
- International software company – advice on licensing, patent procurement, patent portfolio categorization, and IP support for corporate transactions
- International online retail company – patent procurement in the areas of cloud computing, electronic commerce, and robotic technologies
- International financial services company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to financial services and electronic gaming applications; advice on licensing and litigation
- International networking company – advice on licensing, patent procurement, and patent portfolio categorization
- International semiconductor company – patent procurement and licensing in the areas of electronic and semiconductor products
- Start-up semiconductor company – patent procurement in the areas of semiconductor products and manufacturing
- Start-up wireless supply chain provider – development and management of a patent portfolio directed to wireless mobility and tracking using RFID technology; advice on licensing
- Optical networking company – development and management of a worldwide patent portfolio directed to all-optical processors and subsystems for high-capacity networks
Awards & Community
Recommended as a “Leading Lawyer” for Patent Prosecution in The Legal 500 U.S., 2010 & 2013
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters), 2015
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2006, 2010 & 2012