Preston Bernhisel's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, capital markets transactions and other corporate matters for master limited partnerships (MLPs) and corporations, particularly in the energy industry. He has substantial experience representing issuers and investment banking firms in equity and debt securities offerings, including initial public offerings (IPOs), follow-on offerings and Rule 144A transactions.
Mr. Bernhisel has extensive experience advising clients regarding Exchange Act reporting, stock exchange compliance and corporate governance. He also represents private equity funds and their sponsors, including the establishment of funds focusing on the energy industry.
Representative Mergers and Acquisitions
- EnLink Midstream Partners, LP (formerly Crosstex Energy) – $4.8 billion combination with midstream assets of Devon Energy Corporation
- EnLink Midstream Partners, LP – $800 million joint venture with Natural Gas Partners
- EnLink Midstream, LLC – $900 million sale of the remaining 25 percent equity interest in EnLink Midstream Holdings, LP to EnLink Midstream Partners, LP
- EnLink Midstream Partners, LP – $600 million acquisition of Coronado Midstream Holdings LLC
- EnLink Midstream, LLC – $193 million sale of E2 Appalachian Compression, LLC and E2 Energy Services, LLC to EnLink Midstream Partners, L.P.
- EnLink Midstream Partners, LP and EnLink Midstream, LLC – $235 million acquisition of natural gas pipeline assets from Chevron Pipe Line Company and Chevron Midstream Pipelines LLC
- EnLink Midstream Partners, LP – $100 million acquisition of LPC Crude Oil Marketing LLC
- Matador Resources Company – $150 million acquisition of Delaware Basin assets through a merger and joint ventures with Harvey E. Yates Company, a subsidiary of HEYCO Energy Group, Inc.
- Energy Trust Partners – $100 million joint venture with Abraxas Petroleum Corporation to develop the Eagle Ford Shale play in South Texas
- CIC Partners – acquisition of majority stake in Activa Resources, LLC
- CIC Partners – formation of Magnolia Petroleum Company, LLC, a joint venture with Burnett Petroleum
- Perot Systems Corporation – $3.9 billion two-step cash tender offer / merger with Dell Inc.
- Liberty Media Corporation – $530 million investment in secured debt of Sirius XM Radio, Inc. and various other financing transactions
- Centex Corporation – formation of joint venture and $528 million sale of a portfolio of properties to the joint venture in which the company retained an interest
- Affiliated Computer Services, Inc. – $65 million acquisition of Systech Integrators, Inc.
- Private merger of a healthcare provider – $45 million
- Formation of Sabra Dipping Company, LLC, a joint venture between Frito-Lay Dip Company, Inc. and S.E. USA, Inc.
- Hunt Consolidated – formation of a vehicle in 2013 to make private equity investments in electrical power development projects
- Formation of multiple energy private equity funds, including for Energy Trust, Energy Spectrum, CIC Partners and Hawkeye Partners
- Counsel to underwriters, corporations and MLPs in all forms of securities offerings, including IPOs, bought deals, overnight offerings, secondary offerings, 144A private placements of high yield debt securities, registered offerings of debt securities, at-the-market continuous offering programs (ATMs), tender offers, exchange offers and registered direct offerings
- Initial public offerings include VTTI Energy Partners LP, Foresight Energy LP, OCI Resources LP and MetroPCS Communications, Inc.
- Bookrunners regularly represented include Barclays, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Raymond James, UBS and Wells Fargo, among others
- Issuers represented include EnLink Midstream Partners LP (formerly Crosstex Energy, L.P.), Matador Resources Company, NRG Energy Inc., NRG Yield, Inc., PERU LNG S.R.L., Forum Energy Technologies, Ascent Capital Group, Inc., Monitronics International, Inc., Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. and MetroPCS Wireless, Inc.
- Regular issuers in underwriter representation include of Targa Resources Partners LP, Stone Energy Corporation, SM Energy Company, Oil States International, Inc. and Hiland Partners
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018
Publications, Speeches & Presentations