Jason Bennett is a partner and the Head of the Global Projects Group at Baker Botts, who concentrates on oil, gas, LNG, and liquids projects, and transactions in the energy industry with water development and financing projects. Mr. Bennett assists clients with development and structuring of upstream and midstream investments and joint ventures, including in respect of project development agreements, joint development agreements, participation agreements, farmouts, production sharing arrangement and acquisitions of interests in oil and gas and midstream properties and LNG, pipeline and other energy projects. Mr. Bennett's extensive current experience with LNG projects includes assisting clients with the structuring, development, construction and launch of greenfield liquefaction projects and related upstream developments, regasification facility projects, LNG shipping matters and the development of LNG trading platforms and investments.
Representative Oil and Gas Transactions
- E&P Company – assist with the purchase of Permian basin assets
- Private equity fund – assist with the negotiation of a Joint Development Agreement/DrillCo funding structure
- E&P Company – assist with the refinancing of upstream assets in the Permian basin
- E&P Investor – advise regarding Participation Agreements for multiple drilling fund investments, including multi-program structures
- E&P Company – assist E&P company in the sale of assets in three U.S. onshore basins
- E&P Company – advice regarding the potential acquisition of an offshore interest in blocks in the Gulf of Mexico
- E&P Company – assist with the sale of Permian basin assets
- E&P Companies – advice regarding production sharing and bidding terms for the initial shallow-water bid round in Mexico
- Russian Oil and Gas Company – advice regarding upstream and midstream projects in the Sakalin region
- Hunt Oil Company – advising in respect of upstream oil and gas contracting, processing and transportation in Peru
- E&P Company – advice regarding long-term gas sales in the U.S.
- E&P Company – advice regarding the restructuring of upstream production interests for an NOC
Representative Joint Ventures
- E&P Company – advice regarding joint venture and related arrangements in the Gulf of Mexico
- E&P Company – advice regarding bidding and joint venture and related arrangements for two separate offshore project in Africa
- E&P Company – advice regarding multiple related joint ventures for offshore platform and processing facilities and an onshore LNG liquefaction project
- Midstream Company – advice regarding a joint venture for the acquisition of midstream gathering pipeline systems
- E&P Company – advice regarding a joint development arrangements for a project in Mexico
- E&P Company – advice regarding joint venture arrangements for production of gas and liquids and export of LNG
- Midstream Company – advice regarding joint venture arrangements for an LNG project in the U.S.
Representative LNG Projects and Transactions
Assisted clients with over 30 LNG projects, including advising regarding more than 50 LNG SPAs and LNG 10 tolling agreements for liquefaction and regasification facilities including those as described below:
- Sempra LNG – project development counsel to Sempra LNG in respect of the Port Arthur LNG Liquefaction project and project counsel to Sempra LNG marketing in respect of LNG Sales and gas supplies for its North American LNG Liquefaction projects currently under construction and development
- Cheniere Energy Inc. – development of first LNG liquefaction and export facility from the lower 48 states of the U.S.
- Jordan Cove Energy Project – development of an LNG liquefaction project and negotiation of a liquefaction tolling agreement and related agreements
- Peru LNG – development and launch of an LNG liquefaction project in Peru and sale of the resulting LNG
- International Oil and Gas Company – advice regarding entry into the U.S. LNG market as an off-taker and investor
- Western Canada – advising the project sponsor of a proposed Greenfield LNG liquefaction project in British Columbia, Canada
- Novatek – structuring and development of all aspects of the Yamal LNG project (Russia), including shareholder arrangements, LNG marketing, and LNG shipping
- BP – long-term sale of LNG from Tangguh, Indonesia, to Sempra LNG; development of the Tangguh project, including assistance with time charter party agreements and other shipping arrangements for Tangguh
Representative Project Finance Transactions
- LNG Liquefaction Project – advice regarding project restructuring and resulting project finance amendment issues
- Advice to several greenfield LNG liquefaction projects regarding lender requirements for project structures and agreements
- Advice to several greenfield LNG regasification projects regarding lender requirements for project structures and agreements
- AES Hawaii – $500 million private placement of long-term project debt with institutional investors and $25 million debt service reserve letter of credit facility for the nonrecourse refinancing of a power project
Awards & Community
Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S., 2019
Listed in The Legal 500 EMEA as a "Leading Individual" for Energy & Natural Resources, 2014, 2015, 2016
Listed in Chambers USA for Projects: LNG, 2017, 2018 & 2019
Listed in Chambers Europe: Energy & Natural Resources in Russia, 2012-2014
Listed as a "Foreign Expert" in Chambers Global for Energy & Natural Resources, 2012-2018
Listed in Who's Who Legal: Energy, Law Business Research Ltd, 2018
Listed in Who's Who Legal, Energy and Project Finance, Law Business Research Ltd, 2014
Listed in Who's Who Legal: Oil and Gas, Law Business Research Ltd, 2010 & 2013
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2010
Recognized by Chambers USA as "Up & Coming," 2010
Appellate Reversal in Enterprise Products Partners LP v. Energy Transfer Partners LP: What Does It Mean for Energy Companies in TexasWebinar
Energy Litigation Update
Baker Botts is proud to be a sponsor and the exclusive Legal Partner for the VIP Programme for Gastech 2019 being held in Houston, Texas on September 16-19.
Baker Botts is proud to be a part of the 2019 Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) in Houston, May 6-9.
Baker Botts is pleased to sponsor The CWC 19th Annual World LNG Summit on November 27-30 in Lisbon, Portugal.