Jeff Baxter practices in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark, copyright, unfair competition, and trade secrets. He has extensive experience in patent litigation, patent reexamination, trade secret litigation, patent portfolio development and management, and technology licensing.
Jeff Baxter has been involved in all aspects of patent infringement litigation, including pre-suit investigations, claim construction proceedings, fact discovery, expert discovery, summary judgment proceedings, bench trials, jury trials and appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He has litigated patent infringement cases in various district courts throughout the country, including the Eastern District of Texas, the Northern District of Texas, the Northern District of California, the District of Delaware and Northern District of Illinois.
Mr. Baxter’s technical experience spans a variety of technical fields, including semiconductors, telecommunications, data networking, medical devices, and other hardware and software products. In the semiconductor field, he has litigated several cases involving power semiconductor devices, as well as cases involving controllers for performing power factor correction, DC-DC voltage regulators, on-chip capacitors and microcontrollers. His telecommunications and data networking experiences include optical networks, Wi-Fi technologies, wireless modems, wireline networks, cellular technologies, Voice over IP and other Internet enabling technologies. In the medical devices field, he has litigated cases including blood glucose meters, electric stimulation leads and laparoscopic surgical equipment. He has also litigated cases involving other types of hardware and software products, including antennas, lens, smartphone technologies, e discovery software, encryption software, authentication and authorization systems, systems for managing software installation and updates, electronic systems for trading of futures contracts, systems for providing emergency 911 services and Internet billing systems.
Mr. Baxter also advises small and large companies to help them identify and protect their intellectual property. Mr Baxter prepares and prosecutes patents. He also helps clients develop strategies and procedures for building and maintaining a valuable patent portfolio.
Mr. Baxter also advises clients on IP risks. For example, when clients are confronted with patents, he studies the patents to assess the validity of the patents and determine the clients’ non-infringement positions. He has also been involving in a number of patent reexaminations.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- International semiconductor company – defense against claims of patent infringement, resulting in a take-nothing judgment of non-infringement after a bench trial and later affirmed on appeal
- International semiconductor company – defense against claims of patent infringement in a declaratory judgment action, resulting in a covenant not to sue for no payment before claim construction
- Major software company – defense against claims of patent infringement by obtaining an early favorable claim construction and a stipulated finding of non-infringement, both of which were affirmed on appeal
- Major wireless communications company – early settlement of patent infringement suit for no payment based on ownership issues uncovered early in discovery before claim construction
- Wall Street trading firm – prosecution of a patent infringement lawsuit, which concluded with a favorable settlement agreement, including licensing payments totaling $30 million
- Major computer manufacturer – defense in a patent infringement suit that settled on confidential terms during trial
- International optical networking company – prosecution of a lawsuit for misappropriation of business and technical trade secrets relating to the company’s optical networking business
Awards & Community
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer-Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2005, 2008-2010, 2012-2013