Brooksany Barrowes represents clients in regulatory litigation and transactional matters that relate to the energy industry and commodities and securities markets. She has worked on cases before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, state public utility commissions including the Public Utility Commission of Texas, the Department of Energy, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and federal and state courts. She has represented clients in FERC and NERC audits, assisted in internal investigations and developed trading and corporate compliance programs.
Ms. Barrowes works with a range of energy industry clients, including major energy trading companies, independent power producers, natural gas and oil pipeline companies and public utilities.
Ms. Barrowes' experience includes representing client interests in various ISO/RTO tariff proceedings; securing FERC approval for corporate reorganizations or acquisitions under the Federal Power Act section 203; PUHCA advice; handling complaint proceedings under FPA section 206 and rate proceedings under FPA section 205; securing FERC approval for Exempt Wholesale Generators and Qualifying Facilities; advising clients acquiring or releasing natural gas transportation and storage services and structuring asset management agreements; and representing client interests in rulemakings before the FERC.
Ms. Barrowes serves as the Deputy Department Chair for Global Projects in the Washington D.C. office of Baker Botts and is a member of the firm's Renewables and Energy Litigation Practice groups.
- Major private equity firm - regulatory counsel for $2.1 billion acquisitions of 5,200 MW, natural gas- and coal-fueled generation portfolio in Ohio and Indiana
- Coalition of transmission owners in MISO - proceedings before FERC regarding RTO-to-RTO disputes over use of transmission across seams
- Coalition of transmission owners in MISO - proceedings before FERC and the D.C. Circuit regarding transmission planning and cost allocation issues
- Investor-owned utility - litigation before FERC regarding cost allocation issues associated with integration of neighboring utility into the SPP market
- Private equity owner of generation and energy trading portfolio - developed energy regulatory compliance manual and conducted employee training, assisted with enforcement and investigation matters before the PUCT and FERC
- Merchant generation and transmission owner - representation regarding expansion of a cross-border transmission line connecting a generating facility in South Texas to the electric grid in Mexico, with associated permits and regulatory approvals
- Electric utility company - representation before DOE, FERC, ERCOT, PUCT, and various Mexican regulatory authorities in obtaining qualifications for cross-border transmission and power sales and to participate in the Mexican wholesale electric market
- Merchant generation company – arbitration of a dispute over the commercial terms of a tolling agreement
- Natural gas production, midstream and storage company – counsel for FERC tariff and certificate matters, rates and regulatory aspects of purchase and sale of pipeline and storage assets
- Electric utility company – representation in a NERC, FERC and FRCC joint investigation of compliance with Electric Reliability Standards in connection with a major outage event in Florida
- Electric utility company – counsel for rate cases, permits, policy cases, market design and associated administrative litigation before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Merchant generation company – proceedings before FERC, SEC and CFTC; various internal investigation and Department of Justice matters and related civil lawsuits
- New corporation – counsel in the application and licensing process to construct and operate a new pipeline in the United States, and in associated litigation
- National energy marketing company – counsel on natural gas marketing matters , including pipeline affiliate Standards of Conduct and FERC authorizations
- Public utility – internal investigations and related regulatory and litigation matters; counsel regarding acceptable trading practices and policies across industries
- Merchant generation company – representation in rulemaking proceedings to set standards of conduct and behavioral rules for electricity and natural gas markets
- National energy marketing company – representation in the execution of long-term power purchase and sale agreements
Awards & Community
Recognized for Electricity by Chambers USA, 2010-2018 and Chambers Global, 2016-2018
Recognized as "Up and Coming," Chambers USA, 2009
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2013
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Energy Regulatory Update
Energy Regulatory Update
Now in its fourth year, Privcap’s Game Change: Energy 2017 Conference will once again bring together senior private equity executives, institutional investors and a range of experts from government and industry.
Baker Botts will host a comprehensive CLE program in our Washington office on October 24, 2017.