Jamie Baker is a partner in the Global Projects Department and serves as the firm's International Partner, responsible for the development and coordination of the firm's international practice across its seven offices outside the U.S.
Mr. Baker's practice concentrates on domestic and international commercial and trade-related matters and transactions. His transactional practice relates principally to the energy and natural resources and telecommunications and technology sectors and involves contract negotiation and documentation of investment vehicles, business combinations, divestitures and operations and various forms of corporate and project finance. In addition to his transactional portfolio, Mr. Baker maintains an active practice advising U.S. and non-U.S. clients with respect to their compliance obligations under U.S. trade and transactional regulations, including U.S. sanctions programs, the CFIUS review process, export controls, Patriot Act compliance, anti-boycott compliance and other U.S. laws affecting foreign investment.
Mr. Baker's clients include both foreign and domestic publicly traded and closely held companies and venture and private equity investment funds and partnerships and he regularly advises clients in both inbound and outbound international investments.
Mr. Baker's representations have included transactions in the Arabian peninsula and North Africa, Central and East Asia, Europe and Russia, many of which have involved negotiations between private concerns and government agencies or state enterprises.
During his career of more than thirty years at Baker Botts, Mr. Baker has served as the Partner-in-Charge of the Washington Office (during which time the office grew from approximately 100 attorneys to more than 135) and as firmwide Chair of the Global Projects Department. Additionally, he recently stepped down from the firm's Executive Committee after a term of nine years.
From 1982 to 1985, prior to joining Baker Botts, Mr. Baker served as counsel to the U.S. Senate Majority Leader. He serves as a member of the advisory board of the Baker Institute at Rice University in Houston, as well as on the Board of Trustees of Rumsey Hall School in Washington Depot, Connecticut and on the Board of Directors of the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, a national conservation organization based in Washington, D.C.
- Barrick Gold Corporation – sale of 50% of its interest in the Jabal Sayid copper mining project in Saudi Arabia to Ma’aden, the Saudi national mining company
- Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. – various aspects of its development of the $4.5 billion Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold mining project in the South Gobi region of Mongolia, including negotiation of a stability agreement with the government of Mongolia and advice concerning various investment treaty considerations
- Interros Holdings – advice to the $9.5 billion Moscow-based private investment firm in the creation of IST Capital Partners, a $2 billion private equity fund in which Interros was the anchor investor and in the subsequent creation of Altpoint Capital Partners
- East Mediterranean Gas JSC – development and construction of a subsea gas pipeline transporting natural gas from the Sinai peninsula in Egypt to Israel
- Hyundai Motor Company – representation in the siting and construction of its first U.S.-based production facility in Montgomery, Alabama, a factory that currently manufactures 300,000 vehicles per year
- Norilsk Nickel – representation of the Russian mining giant in its landmark acquisition of a controlling interest in Stillwater Mining, a U.S.-based publicly traded (NYSE) mining company, the first such acquisition by a Russian company
- Petrochemical Industries Company (K.S.C.), a subsidiary of Kuwait Petroleum Corporation - representation in its negotiations of a proposed multi-billion dollar joint venture with The Dow Chemical Company combining the two companies’ plastics businesses
- Ivanhoe Energy Inc. - advice relating to its development of heavy oil reserves in Ecuador and in respect of certain domestic litigation relating thereto
- PepsiCo, Inc. – negotiation of a dispute settlement involving the company’s decision to terminate its relationship with its local bottler in Saudi Arabia
- Aventis – successor to the merger of Rhone Poulenc and Hoechst and a major European pharmaceutical manufacturer – postmerger counsel in the divestment of various non-core businesses
- Azerbaijan International Operating Company (AIOC) – development of the BTC Pipeline transporting oil from the Caspian Sea at Baku to the Mediterranean port of Ceyhan, Turkey
- Silver Opportunity Partners, a member of the Electrum Group of companies- advice in respect of its acquisition of Sterling Mining Company in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy auction proceeding
- Smart Hydrogen Corp – advice in its U.S. regulatory clearances relating to a $250 million equity infusion into Plug Power Inc., a U.S.-based technology development company and producer of hydrogen fuel cells
- BGR Holdings– general corporate representation of the Washington-based government affairs and strategic advisory firm and its various affiliates
- Duncan MacNeill Group – representation of the British-Indian investment firm in joint venture negotiations with Australian-based oil and gas exploration company and in the subsequent listing of the latter on the Australian Stock Exchange
- Ministry of Energy and Water of the Republic of Lebanon – advice in the formulation, drafting and implementation of a legislative and regulatory framework for the exploration and development of domestic gas and oil reserves, both onshore and offshore
- U.S. chemical manufacturing company – advice regarding its efforts to license a patented process involving the national petrochemical company of a sanctioned country through the U.S. Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC)
- Large U.S. casualty and liability insurance company – advice concerning its creation of an internal compliance program intended to ensure compliance with Patriot Act requirements and OFAC sanctions programs
Awards & Community
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2013
Named a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2017
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
President Trump Signs Law to Enact Major Reform of Foreign Investment National Security (CFIUS) ReviewsFirm Thought Leadership
International Trade Update
Baker Botts is the proud host of the 2017 Lex Mundi North America Regional Conference.