With more than 25 trials in eight states, Earl Austin has a national trial practice representing Fortune 500 corporations in complex civil, class action and mass tort litigation, with a particular focus on the life science and health care industries.
Co-head of Baker Botts' Life Sciences Practice, Mr. Austin has more than 30 years of experience representing a variety of life science and health care companies in a wide range of civil litigation matters. Mr. Austin has served as national trial and coordinating counsel for several major pharmaceutical companies in class action and mass tort litigation. He also has handled complex commercial and intellectual property litigation, as well as False Claims Act and related governmental litigation, for a number of life science and health care companies, and also has teamed with the firm's IP lawyers in Inter Partes Review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In addition, to his life science and health care practice, Mr. Austin also represents clients in the chemical and technology sectors, and counsels clients regarding product labeling and other administrative matters.
- AstraZeneca – national coordinating counsel in Seroquel litigation
- Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. – representation as national and regional coordinating counsel in products liability and consumer class action litigation
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation – Parlodel and other pharmaceutical product litigation
- Connecticut General Life Insurance Company – black mold litigation concerning a 250-unit apartment complex
- Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. – infant formula and pharmaceutical product litigation
- The Upjohn Company – Halcion litigation
- Velsicol Chemical Corporation – chlordane litigation
- GTE Corporation – a series of multistate consumer class action cases
- Texas Oncology Physicians Association – antitrust litigation
Awards & Community
Recommended in The Legal 500 U.S., 2012-2014
Recognized by LMG Life Sciences as a “Life Science Star,” 2012-2015
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2015
Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer, 2011-2013 & 2016
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer, 2006-2009
Recognized in Chambers USA, 2007-2008, 2014-2015
Listed in Product Liability, Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences, 2016