Jay Alexander, a senior trial partner, leads Baker Botts’ international disputes practice. With nearly 30 years of experience resolving international disputes, Chambers reports, that he has “impressive advocacy skills” (2017), “grasps complex matters very quickly” (2017), “gets extraordinary results” (2014), is “a consummate advocate” (2013) and "one of the most promising ... of his generation" (2013).
Mr. Alexander has acted as advocate or arbitrator in disputes throughout the world. He has served as lead counsel in numerous arbitrations seated in Europe, North America and Asia, including some of the world's highest value arbitrations. Recent matters have arisen in the energy, telecommunications and technology, finance, insurance, construction, shipping, and manufacturing sectors.
Throughout his career, Mr. Alexander has helped his clients with arbitrations, litigations and criminal investigations arising out of many jurisdictions, including Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Libya, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Venezuela.
Mr. Alexander was a law clerk for present Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg while she was serving on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He has served as a Deputy Judge of the International Court of Appeal of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile and has taught trial advocacy with NITA.
Representative Commercial Arbitration Experience
- Asian telecommunications company: AAA's International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) arbitration under New York law regarding US$3.5 billion engineering, procurement and installation services dispute
- LNG sellers and buyers: multiple high value price reviews, take or pay disputes and other disputes under gas/LNG sale and purchase agreements
- National oil company: Swiss rules arbitration under Czech law regarding US$6.5 billion dispute under supply agreement
- African oil company: LCIA arbitration under English law regarding offshore drilling dispute
- National oil company: LCIA arbitration under English and Russian law regarding validity of a US$650 million guarantee
- Investment fund: ICC arbitration under Korean law regarding US$650 million joint venture dispute in the financial services sector
- Automotive company: ICC arbitration under Brazilian and Korean law relating to US$250+ million joint venture dispute
- English bunker fuels company: LCIA arbitration under English law regarding services contract and charterparties dispute
- Aerospace company: Korean Commercial Arbitration Board arbitration under Connecticut and Korean law regarding technology transfer dispute
- European conglomerate: ad hoc arbitration under New York law arising out of post-closing purchase price adjustments dispute
- Petrochemicals company: ICC arbitration under English law regarding dispute over rights of first refusal in a joint venture agreement
Representative Investment Treaty Experience
- International mining company: advised investor in negotiation of multi-billion dollar investment dispute with host state arising out of mining concession
- Sovereign State: multiple UNCITRAL arbitrations regarding high value Energy Charter Treaty disputes
- Sovereign state: Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) arbitration regarding bilateral investment treaty dispute in the oil and gas sector
- U.S. corporation: International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) Additional Facility arbitration regarding NAFTA dispute in the waste management sector
- Sovereign state: UNCITRAL arbitration regarding bilateral investment treaty dispute in the electricity sector
- Various matters: advice to wide range of investors regarding investor-state disputes and their nonlitigious resolution
Representative International Litigation Experience
- Allen, et al. v. The Russian Federation, et al.: defense in United States courts of claims alleging RICO and other tortious conduct raising sovereign immunity and jurisdictional issues
- National oil company: coordination and defense of related legal proceedings pending before courts in Europe, Asia and North America
- Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos y Protección Bancaria (FOGADE): prosecution and defense in United States courts of multiple complex civil disputes raising issues of federal, state, foreign and international law
- National oil company: representation of client in multibillion-dollar international bankruptcy filing in the United States
- Insurance company: defense in United States courts of multinational insurance coverage disputes
- Chapter 7 trustee: prosecution of complex bankruptcy proceedings in the United States on behalf of trustee involving identification and recovery of significant assets concealed in secrecy jurisdictions
- U.S. Investor: pursuit in United States courts of enforcement of an arbitral award against the Government of Belize
Representative International Criminal Investigations Experience
- Major South American financial institution: multi-national, multijurisdictional investigation of the financial activities of a non-U.S. bank
- Major U.S. defense contractors: defense of multiple United States government investigations of FCPA, false statement and related issues
- U.S. equipment manufacturer: preparation of FCPA compliance program for international operations
- Environmental consultant: defense of criminal prosecution of alleged U.S. environmental crimes arising out of cross-border pipeline project
- Defense industry executive: defense of grand jury investigation of alleged criminal violations of U.S. export control laws
- Pharmaceutical industry executive: defense of grand jury investigation of alleged criminal violations of anti-kickback laws
Awards & Community
Recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Chambers UK and Chambers USA:
Recent recognitions have included:
“impressive advocacy skills” - Chambers Global, 2017
“He gets extraordinary results” - Chambers Global, 2014
“described by sources as a ‘consummate advocate, his skills are very clear, he is extremely smart and has a pleasant demeanor.” - Chambers Europe, 2013
“Jay Alexander is ‘one of the most promising young lawyers of his generation’ and [s]ources praise his forward-thinking strategic approach.” - Chambers UK, 2013
Recommended in Expert Guides for Commercial Arbitration
Recognized in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration Lawyers and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
Recognized by The Legal 500 UK and The Legal 500 U.S.
Publications, Speeches & Presentations
Joint ventures, licensing agreements, and other commercial relationships often center on the sharing of technology. When those relationships end, break down, or are abused, the parties often face complex disputes over the use or abuse of proprietary technology.
This 15th LNG Forum will consider the changing nature of the LNG market, review the nature and potential ramifications of the current Japan Fair Trade Commission investigation into destination flexibility, as well as contract term flexibility and price review issues.