Mr. Alexander co-chairs Baker Botts’ International Arbitration and International Disputes Resolution Group. With over 25 years of experience, his practice focuses on international arbitration, including both commercial and public international law disputes.
Mr. Alexander has helped parties resolve disputes arising in many jurisdictions, including Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela. These matters have involved both disputes between commercial entities and disputes between foreign investors and their host States.
Mr. Alexander was a law clerk for present Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg while she was serving on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He has served as a Deputy Judge of the International Court of Appeal of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile and has taught trial advocacy for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “North American Overview,” The International Comparative Legal Guide to International Arbitration, 2008-09 (Ryan Bull, co-author)
- “Venezuelan Investment: Locating a Safe House and Achieving a Reverse Calvo,” Transnational Dispute Management (TDM), online publication, Vol. 5, issue 2, April 2008
- “Resource Nationalism Repeating Itself,” Oil & Gas Financial Journal, January 2008
- “Navigating Cross-Cultural Waters in International Disputes,” Inside the Minds: Leading Lawyers on the Art & Science of Arbitration, Mediation & More, Aspatore Books, 2004 (Michael Goldberg, co-author)
- Speaker, “Price Review in LNG Contracts,” 9th LNG Forum, London, May 2014
- Speaker, “Do’s and Don’ts in International Arbitration,” Litigation Summit, Berlin, Germany, February 2014
- Moderator and Speaker, “International Arbitration: Advantages, Constraints, Procedures and Enforcement,” Investing in Africa Symposium, Lex Mundi, London, December 2013
- Faculty, “Master Class: Price Review In LNG Contracts,” CWC Fourteenth Annual World LNG Summit, Paris, France, November 2013
- Speaker, “Oxford Union-style debate: The cost of obsession with time-and-cost,” GAR Live Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil, April 2013
- Speaker, “Price Reviews in Europe -- What’s Changing,” FLAME 2013, Amsterdam, Netherlands, March 2013
- Speaker, “Guerilla Tactics in International Arbitration,” Corporate Counsel Institute-Europe, June 2011