Mr. Alexander co-chairs Baker Botts’ International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution Group. With nearly 30 years of experience, he is a senior partner and first chair advocate. Chambers reports “He gets extraordinary results” (2014) and is “a consummate advocate” (2013). Mr. Alexander has helped parties resolve disputes arising in jurisdictions around the world, from Brazil to Singapore.
Mr. Alexander has acted as advocate or arbitrator in disputes throughout the world. He has conducted arbitrations under the auspices of many arbitral institutes, including the ICC, ICDR, ICSID, LCIA, Permanent Court of Arbitration and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, as well as proceedings that were ad hoc and under the UNCITRAL Rules. These disputes have arisen in many industry sectors (including energy, construction, finance, insurance, shipping, technology and manufacturing), and frequently present multi-jurisdictional legal issues. Mr. Alexander also litigates enforcement proceedings and defends the interests of foreign sovereigns in United States courts.
Mr. Alexander has helped parties resolve disputes arising in many jurisdictions, including Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Venezuela. These matters have involved both disputes between commercial entities and disputes between foreign investors and their host States.
Mr. Alexander was a law clerk for present Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg while she was serving on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He has served as a Deputy Judge of the International Court of Appeal of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile and has taught trial advocacy for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- "Arbitration in the United Kingdom," Lexology Navigator, 2014 (Johannes Koepp, co-author)
- “Venezuelan Investment: Locating a Safe House and Achieving a Reverse Calvo,” Transnational Dispute Management (TDM), online publication, Vol. 5, issue 2, April 2008
- “Resource Nationalism Repeating Itself,” Oil & Gas Financial Journal, January 2008
- “Navigating Cross-Cultural Waters in International Disputes,” Inside the Minds: Leading Lawyers on the Art & Science of Arbitration, Mediation & More, Aspatore Books, 2004 (Michael Goldberg, co-author)
Recent Speeches & Presentations
- Speaker, “Oxford Union-style debate: The cost of obsession with time-and-cost,” GAR Live Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil, April 2013