Louie Layrisson counsels clients in a broad range of civil matters, and his trial practice includes energy, products liability and personal injury litigation, as well as commercial disputes and arbitrations.
In the energy industry, he works closely with clients on a variety of operational issues and legal disputes arising from oil and gas exploration and production in U.S. shale plays and international operations. Layrisson’s practice also includes internal investigations.
Before joining the firm, Layrisson served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jay C. Zainey of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Oil & Gas Producer - advice regarding U.S. shale operations, including disputes related to oil and gas leases, title, surface owners, joint operating and development agreements, personal injury, indemnity, as well as issues related to mergers and acquisitions
- Exploration and production corporation - coordinated internal investigation and defense of energy litigation matters in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Wyoming and North Dakota as full-time, embedded secondee
- Independent deepwater exploration company - provided in-house legal counsel related to operations, regulatory compliance, and commercial agreements for large deepwater exploration company as full-time, embedded secondee
- Independent exploration and production company - international commercial arbitration over dispute with partner regarding interpretation of joint operating agreement
- Major integrated oil and gas corporation - assisted in multistate defense of federal class action alleging product liability claims, trial team obtained denial of class certification
- Independent refiner - dispute over interpretation of crude oil contract following supply disruptions
- International exploration and production company - due diligence assessment on litigation matters in connection with $193 million acquisition of a Texas oil and gas company
- Fortune 500 retailer - defense of claims through federal jury trial in suit alleging trademark infringement and unfair competition
- Professional sports organization - assisted in products liability action against arena sign manufacturer; case tried in Texas state court to multi-million dollar verdict
- Fortune 500 power generation company - arbitration of management-labor disputes in connection with power generation plants throughout Texas, including favorable arbitration awards as first-chair counsel
- Manufacturing Company - representation in trade secret, tortious interference and anti-trust litigation
- Plumbing system manufacturer - multistate defense of federal class actions alleging product liability and consumer fraud arising out of allegedly defective plumbing systems
- Maritime class certification society - internal investigation of corporate separateness and corporate governance issues
- Regional insurance company - defense against third-party personal injury and property damage claims
- Pro Bono Client - obtained full reversal of administrative benefits denial by Veterans’ Affairs, obtained relief retroactive to 2005 for Iraq War veteran
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Offset Clauses In a World Without Drainage,” Presentation at the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law Annual Symposium, Austin, February 14, 2014 (Jason Newman, co-presenter)
- “Offset Clauses In a World Without Drainage,” with Jason Newman, Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2013-2014
- “Common Litigation Issues Arising Out of Shale Plays,” Baker Botts In-House Presentation, Houston, November 14, 2013, (Bill Kroger, Jason Newman, and Ben Sweet, co-presenters)
- “Joint Defense Agreements: Balancing Risk and Reward,” with Mark R. Robeck, ABA Energy Litigation Newsletter, March 2011
- “Kennedy v. Sheriff of East Baton Rouge: A Hollow Victory for Louisiana Defamation Plaintiffs?” Louisiana Law Review, Fall 2007