Complex commercial litigation, corporate governance and shareholder litigation, energy litigation, class actions, trademarks and trade secrets
Jon Mureen is a trial lawyer distinguished both by his skill as a courtroom advocate and his ability to address difficult legal problems. Jon has significant first- and second-chair trial experience in federal and state courts and before administrative tribunals and arbitration panels.
Jon’s practice focuses on energy litigation, corporate governance and shareholder litigation, class actions, trademarks, trade secrets and complex contractual disputes.
Before joining Baker Botts, Jon served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sidney A. Fitzwater, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Trial counsel for corporation and director-defendants in Delaware Chancery Court; defeated plaintiff-shareholder’s suit to take over board and CEO seat
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff energy services company against supplier of defective equipment; defeated dispositive motions and obtained judgment in client’s favor at trial
- Lead counsel for defendant midstream natural gas company against breach of contract claim ending in favorable settlement
- Trial counsel for plaintiff international oilfield products and services firm in arbitration against former subsidiary arising from separation
- Trial counsel for defendant investment company against suit for payment of stock purchase price; obtained offset to purchase price at trial.
- Lead counsel for defendant gas and chemical transportation company against tort and contract claims arising from alleged handling of materials
- Trial counsel for white collar criminal defendant in high profile federal jury trial; briefed and argued dispositive motions resulting in judgment of acquittal on major count
- Managed high profile litigation between client soft drink company and franchise bottler over license and trademark violations
- Prosecuted trademark infringement and trade secret theft claims on behalf of food and beverage company against private label food company
- Prosecuted trade secret theft and related claims against client’s former employee
- Briefed and argued central privilege dispute in fee claim against client by discharged attorney
- Defended geological interpretation (energy exploration) firm against claims for professional negligence
- Defended against nationwide product liability litigation, including multi-district litigation, statewide class actions and individual lawsuits in both federal and state courts
- Lead trial attorney and counsel for various pro bono matters
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “The Honest Services Fraud Statute: A View from Dallas City Hall Corruption Case,” Federal Bar Association Newsletter, May/June, 2010 (co-author, Victor Vital)
- “Civil Remedies for Victims: An Alternative Means of Justice and Compensation,” Texas Summit on the Trafficking and Exploitation of Children, Dallas, February 2010