International disputes, arbitration and litigation
Mr. Alexander co-chairs Baker Botts’ International Arbitration and International Disputes Resolution Group. With over 25 years of experience, his practice focuses on international arbitration, including both commercial and public international law disputes.
Mr. Alexander has substantial experience as first-chair advocate and also sits as an arbitrator. He has acted in arbitrations conducted throughout the world, and under the auspices of many arbitral institutes, including the ICC, ICDR, ICSID, LCIA, Permanent Court of Arbitration and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, as well as ad hoc and UNCITRAL Rules proceedings. These disputes arise in many industry sectors (including energy, construction, finance, insurance, shipping, technology and manufacturing), and frequently present multi-jurisdictional issues implicating the laws of more than one nation and/or public international law. Mr. Alexander also litigates enforcement proceedings and defends the interests of foreign sovereigns in United States courts.
Mr. Alexander has helped parties resolve disputes arising in many jurisdictions, including Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela. These matters have involved both disputes between commercial entities and disputes between foreign investors and their host States.
Mr. Alexander was a law clerk for present Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg while she was serving on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He has served as a Deputy Judge of the International Court of Appeal of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile and has taught trial advocacy for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
- Sovereign State-UNCITRAL arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty regarding alleged expropriation and violations of other substantive provisions involving an amount in dispute alleged to exceed US$125 billion
- Asian telecommunications company-International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) arbitration between Asian and North American companies involving alleged defective engineering, procurement and installation services of an inter-continental network, with an amount in dispute of more than US$3.5 billion
- LNG producers-multiple disputes involving LNG price reviews
- African oil company-LCIA arbitration involving offshore drilling dispute
- English bunker fuels company-LCIA arbitration involving alleged breaches of services contract and charterparties
- Sovereign state-Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) arbitration under a bilateral investment treaty regarding alleged expropriation
- Russian oil company-LCIA arbitration between Russian and Cypriot companies involving disputed US$700 million English law guarantee
- Bermuda investment fund-ICC arbitration between Bermuda and Malaysian companies involving disputed buyout of Korean financial institution with amount in dispute exceeding US$700 million
- Sovereign state-UNCITRAL rules arbitration involving alleged violation of bilateral investment treaty in the electricity sector
- Russian oil company-Zurich Chamber of Commerce arbitration between Russian and Czech companies involving an alleged supply agreement, with amount in dispute exceeding US$5 billion
- Korean technology company-arbitration before Korean Commercial Arbitration Board involving servicing contract and disputed technology transfers
- European conglomerate-ad hoc proceedings arising out of post-closing purchase price and adjustments dispute
- U.S. corporation-arbitration before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) against the government of Mexico for violations of NAFTA
- Korean automotive company-ICC arbitration arising out of fraud, misappropriation, and other misconduct by joint venture partners, with an amount in dispute exceeding US$250 million
- BVI petrochemicals company-ICC arbitration arising out of breach of shareholder agreement in a Chinese joint venture
- Russian Oil Company-representation of interests of the Russian company in connection with the multibillion-dollar bankruptcy filing
- U.S. corporation-arbitration before the AAA and defense of a parallel civil action to enjoin arbitral proceeding
- Russian Federation-defense of civil claims alleging RICO and other tortious conduct raising sovereign immunity and jurisdictional issues
- Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos y Protección Bancaria (FOGADE)-prosecution and defense in United States courts of multiple complex civil disputes that raise issues of federal, state, foreign and international law
- Various matters-advice to a wide range of foreign investors and sovereign states regarding investor-state disputes and their nonlitigious resolution
- Chapter 7 trustee-complex bankruptcy proceedings requiring the location and recovery of significant assets concealed in secrecy jurisdictions by a foreign national through the use of aliases, nominees and bearer share corporate entities
- Major South American financial institution-multinational, multijurisdictional investigation of the financial activities of a non-U.S. bank operating in the United States and elsewhere, demanding cross-border financial investigation and confidential negotiated resolution
- Major corporations-various criminal investigations arising out of business practices in the Middle East, including Egypt, Israel and Jordan
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “North American Overview,” The International Comparative Legal Guide to International Arbitration, 2008-09 (Ryan Bull, co-author)
- “Venezuelan Investment: Locating a Safe House and Achieving a Reverse Calvo,” Transnational Dispute Management (TDM), online publication, Vol. 5, issue 2, April 2008
- “Resource Nationalism Repeating Itself,” Oil & Gas Financial Journal, January 2008
- “Navigating Cross-Cultural Waters in International Disputes,” Inside the Minds: Leading Lawyers on the Art & Science of Arbitration, Mediation & More, Aspatore Books, 2004 (Michael Goldberg, co-author)