Bankruptcy and insolvency, chapter 11 reorganizations, mass tort bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts
Jack Kinzie is Chair of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Practice firmwide. In his practice, Mr. Kinzie represents a diverse range of institutional lenders, asset acquirers, creditors, debtors, officers and directors and parents in virtually every aspect of complex chapter 11 cases, as well as out-of-court workouts. He has particular experience in prepackaged mass tort bankruptcies.
- ASARCO LLC – counsel in the chapter 11 case of this integrated copper mining, smelting and refining company
- Mark Wattles Enterprises, LLC – counsel in connection with the DIP facility and acquisition of assets in the bankruptcy of Ultimate Electronics, Inc.
- Gazpromneft – counsel on a multibillion-dollar bankruptcy filing by Yukos Oil Company
- Halliburton Company – counsel for Halliburton in the proposed prepackaged bankruptcies of its Dresser and Kellogg Brown & Root subsidiaries, and creation of section 524(g)/105 trusts to address asbestos and silica liabilities
- Imperial Sugar Company – counsel for debtor in a prenegotiated bankruptcy in Delaware
- McDermott International – counsel for parent in asbestos-related chapter 11 cases of its wholly owned subsidiary, Babcock & Wilcox
- DynCorp – counsel for parent in the prepackaged asbestos-related reorganization of subsidiary Fuller-Austin Insulation Co.
- Centex – counsel for buyer in the acquisition of Vista Properties, Inc. through a prepackaged chapter 11 reorganization plan
- Insilco – reorganization of diversified manufacturers of specialty component and consumer products, including settlement of $9 billion in environmental claims
- The CIT Group/Business Credit, Inc. – counsel in connection with DIP facilities in bankruptcies of Sterling Chemicals and OpTel, Inc.
- National Gypsum Co. – successful defense of former officers and directors in breach of fiduciary duty litigation brought by bondholders and asbestos claimants
- Regency Savings Bank F.S.B. – representation of creditor in proposing a reorganization plan for debtor Chama Land & Cattle Company
- NCNB Texas National Bank – successful defense in adversary proceedings arising from chapter 11 cases of First RepublicBank Corp. and IFRB Corp.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Bankruptcy in the Oil and Gas Industry and Joint Operating Agreements,” 17th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Austin, Fall 1999
- “Bankruptcy and Its Impact on the Oil and Gas Industry,” 25th Annual Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, The University of Texas, Austin, Spring 1999
- “Insurance Issues Arising in Bankruptcy Cases,” 10th Annual Bankruptcy Conference, The University of Texas, Austin, Fall 1991
- “The Statutory Oil and Gas Lien in Oklahoma,” Tulsa Law Journal, 1984
Speeches and Presentations
- Panelist, Mealey’s Asbestos Conference, New York, April 20, 2004
- “Bankruptcy: Theory and Practice,” American College of Investment Counsel, 2000 Spring Investment Forum, Chicago, April 2000
- “Bidding Incentives in Bankruptcy Sales,” Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Dallas, September 1995