Baker Botts Partner Jennifer Trulock will speak at the "Independent Contractor Workshop: How to Comply and Avoid the IRS/DOL Crackdown" webinar on Monday, June 20th. If you classify any workers as "independent contractors”—or have plans to do so—now is the time to make sure you get that classification correct. This webinar will teach you:
- How to create foolproof independent contractor relationships that meet IRS, DOL and state agency requirements.
- The benefits of using independent contractors (same work, lower costs, fewer hassles) and the inherent risks (reclassifications leading to huge tax, wage and benefit payments).
- Why the DOL's new guidance document is a warning shot across employers' bow—and how it changes the classification game.
- Why the feds are cracking down now, what they're looking for and how you can achieve compliance.
- The key factors the DOL and IRS consider (and you should, too) in making classification decisions.
- The IRS test, the so-called "Darden Factors” and the "Economic Realities” standard.
- Important court cases, including the infamous FedEx case, that help draw a brighter line between contractors and employees.
- The 8 steps you should take to create legally safe dealings with independent contractors.
- When you can have a "joint employer” relationship with a contracting agency—and what to be aware of.
- Plus, answers to YOUR questions about independent contractor issues.
To learn more about the webinar, click here.