Appellate litigation and civil litigation
Evan Young’s practice focuses on trial and appellate litigation. He has argued cases before both the Supreme Court of the United States and the Supreme Court of Texas. Ranging from those courts to state trial courts, he has represented clients across the country before every level of the state and federal judiciary.
Before joining Baker Botts, Mr. Young worked as a lawyer in the judicial and executive branches of the federal government. He served as a law clerk to Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and then to Justice Antonin Scalia at the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 2006, after his clerkship with Justice Scalia ended, Mr. Young became Counsel to the Attorney General at the U.S. Department of Justice, serving in the Office of the Attorney General under Attorneys General Alberto R. Gonzales and Michael B. Mukasey. While on the Attorney General’s staff, he accepted a detail to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, where he was the Deputy Rule of Law Coordinator. In that position he worked to assist the Iraqi government in its efforts to strengthen its legal regime, including, for example, its courts and prison system. He returned to Texas and joined the Austin office of Baker Botts in 2009.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Sebelius v. Auburn Regional Medical Center,” Post-Argument Podcast, Federalist Society, December 2012
- “U.S. Supreme Court: Term in Review and Term to Come,” Austin Bar Civil Appellate Section, Austin, September 2012 (with co-presenter Andy Oldham)
- “Remittitur,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, Austin, September 2011
- “United States Supreme Court Term in Review,” Houston Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, Houston, July 2012 (panelist)
- “The Life of a Non-Economic Damages Award,” University of Texas Conference on State and Federal Appeals, Austin, June 2011
- “The Supreme Court’s Two Trips to the Beach,” In Chambers, Texas Center for the Judiciary, Spring 2011
- “Skinner v. Switzer,” Post-Decision Podcast, Federalist Society, March 2011
- “The Twenty-First Century Texas Supreme Court: Pro-Law, Pro-Prosperity,” Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy, 2010 (with co-author Aaron Streett)
- “Skinner v. Switzer,” Post-Argument Podcast, Federalist Society, October 2010
- “Foreign Law in Texas Courts,” Texas Center for the Judiciary Civil Law Conference, Fort Worth, June 2010
- “What Really Goes on in the U.S. Supreme Court?”, University of Texas Conference on State and Federal Appeals, Austin, June 2010 (with co-author Aaron Streett)
- “Foreign Law in Texas Courts,” Texas Center for the Judiciary Appellate Conference, Lost Pines, February 2010
- “Foreign Law in Texas Courts,” Texas Center for the Judiciary Civil Law Conference, Lost Pines, January 2010
- Lone Star Justice: A Biography of Justice Tom C. Clark, Hendrick-Long Publishing Co., 1998