Catriona Hatton is the partner in charge of the firm’s Brussels office and Co-Chair of the firm’s Global Antitrust and Competition Law group. Her practice focuses on European Union (EU) competition law. Catriona has extensive experience advising on EU and national competition law aspects of international mergers, including filings under the EU Merger Regulation and coordinating global merger filings.
Catriona advises on compliance with competition rules in a wide range of commercial agreements. Her compliance work has frequently involved the conduct of antitrust audits and the design and implementation of compliance programs.
Catriona has represented clients in complaints to, and investigations by, the European Commission and numerous national competition authorities. She advises clients in a number of sectors, including pharmaceuticals, mining, media and entertainment, automotive and energy.
Catriona is recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Europe 2013 as a business-oriented practitioner. Clients admire her “excellent judgment and strong sense of practicality.” She is also recommended in the recent edition of Chambers Global where she is particularly praised for her commercial acumen and her work in international merger control.
She was named one of the leading “100 Women in Antitrust” by Global Competition Review in 2009 and in 2013.
She won Euromoney’s “Women in Business Law Award, Best in - Competition & Antitrust 2012.”
She is also listed in Euromoney’s Legal Expert Guide, where clients referred to her as “Brilliant, quick-thinking, great to work with, vast experience in very relevant cases.”
Catriona speaks English, Dutch, French and Italian.
- Representing Cameron International Corporation in obtaining EU merger approval for its One Subsea joint venture with Schlumberger.
- Representing Contran Corporation in obtaining EU approval for the $2.9 billion sale of its subsidiary, Timet, to Precision Castparts Corporation.
- Antitrust counsel to Colfax Corporation in its US$2.4 billion public bid for Charter International plc.
- Advising Sun Microsystems on EU antitrust aspects of various distribution and supply arrangements, strategic alliances and on merger control aspects of their acquisition of MySQL.*
- EU and UK antitrust compliance advice to a leading online travel company.*
- Represented Ariba in connection with acquisition by SAP AG’s $4.3 billion acquisition of Ariba, including advising on UK and international merger control filings and related antitrust counseling.*
- Antitrust counsel to Ford Motor Company in connection with its sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors for approximately US$2.3 billion.*
- Antitrust counsel to the Black & Decker Corporation in its merger with Stanley Works for US$4.5 billion.*
- Antitrust counsel to Norilsk Nickel Group in connection with the acquisition of LionOre Mining International Ltd for US$6.3 billion, the largest cross-border acquisition ever made by a Russian company at that time.*
- Antitrust counsel to a leading high tech company in advising on strategic alliances and competition compliance in IP licensing and distribution arrangements.*
- Antitrust counsel to a U.S. company in defending a complaint for alleged abuse of dominance arising from IP litigation.*
- Antitrust counsel to Sun Microsystems in its acquisition of Swedish company MySQL, developer of one of the world’s fastest growing open source databases, for approx. US$1 billion.*
*Prior to joining Baker Botts
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Talkingpoints - Changes to European merger notification and control,” Financier Worldwide, June 2014
- “International Merger Control. A review of major developments in China, Africa and elsewhere in 2013,” Competition Law Insight, March 2014
- “EU Merger Control in 2013. A look at last year’s highlights,” Competition Law Insight, January 2014
- “Squaring the Circle: The EU’s Quest for Balance between Antitrust and Intellectual Property”, GCR, The European Antitrust Review, 2014
- “International merger control. A look at recent developments”, Competition Law Insight, March 2013
- “Handling Multijurisdictional Merger Control: Procedures”, Training video, Competition Law Observatory, February 2013
- “EU Merger Control in 2012. A look at last year’s highlights,” Competition Law Insight, January 2013
- “Antitrust aspects of Settlement Agreements”, C5 Biotech & Pharma Patenting Conference, London, October 2012
- “Managing Multijurisdictional Merger Control”, Presentation at IBA Annual Conference, Dublin, October 2012
- “EU Merger Control in 2011,” Competition Law Insight, January 2012
- “EU Merger Control and the Full Function Test for Joint Ventures,” Competition Law Insight, December 2010
- “Treatment of Minority Acquisitions under EU and International Merger Control,” European Competition Law Review, September 2010