Patent litigation and prosecution
Ali Dhanani practices in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, patent litigation, and patent opinion preparation. He has experience in preparing and prosecuting patents applications in numerous fields including computer hardware, software and telecommunications systems.
Ali designed and teaches the Procedure of Patent Litigation course as an Adjunct Professor at The University of Houston Law Center. Ali also serves as an associate editor for patstats.org, a site providing research information and patent litigation statistics on recent patent law decisions in U.S. courts at www.patstats.org.
- Carrier Corp. v. Goodman et al. (District of Delaware) Defending Goodman in a patent case concerning HVAC technology.
- HSM Portfolio LLC v. Fujitsu Ltd. et al (District of Delaware) Defending Toshiba in a patent case concerning microprocessor technology.
- Realtime v. CME Group Inc. et al., Chicago Mercantile Exchange, New York Mercantile Exchange and Chicago Board of Trade (Eastern District of Texas, Southern District of New York) Successfully transferred a six-patent case concerning data compression patents and obtained summary judgment of noninfringement at the Southern District of New York.
- TQP Development v. Dish Network (Eastern District of Texas) Defending DISH in a patent case concerning encryption technologies.
- TQP Development v. Merril Lynch & Co., Inc. et al. (Eastern District of Texas) Defended TD Ameritrade in a patent case concerning encryption technologies.
- WebMap Tech. v. City Accommodations Network Inc. et al. (Eastern District of Texas) Defended Yahoo! in a patent infringement case involving mapping technology. Obtained a stay of the case in view of the reexamination requests which succeeded in canceling the asserted claims.
- FotoMedia v. AOL LLC et al. (Eastern District of Texas) Baker Botts is defended Yahoo! in a patent infringement case involving photo sharing website technology. Baker Botts, as part of its defense of this case, filed reexamination requests with respect to all three patents at issue in the lawsuit and succeeded in canceling the asserted claims.
- Alcatel USA Resources, Inc. v. Microsoft Corp. (Eastern District of Texas) Baker Botts represents Alcatel in asserting three Alcatel patents directed to network management systems and video transfer technology against Microsoft’s operating system environment.
- Macrovision Corp. v. Wise Solutions and Altiris, Inc. (Northern District of California) Baker Botts represents the defendants and counterclaim plaintiffs involving patents of both sides directed to IT management software.
- Sai People Solutions, Inc. (Superior Court of Los Angeles County) Defended a trade secret case concerning confidential business information.
- Preparation of patents and evaluation of potential products for a number of clients, including Halliburton Energy Services and Dell Inc.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- “Transfer of Patent Venue: Recent Developments and Strategies,” Intellectual Property Law Section, ABA Midyear Meeting, Boston, February 2009 (Scott Partridge, co-presenter)